News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Going to Hong Kong?

Started by HisMajestyBOB, December 20, 2009, 02:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

So I might go to Hong Kong this January for my winter vacation trip. Ideally I want to get a Chinese visa so I can also visit Shengzhen (and see the Minsk) and Guangzhou.

Any suggestions or ideas for things to see in Hong Kong or in the area?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Richard Hakluyt

The Great Wallet of Mono is reputed to be quite a sight........visible from space in fact. But check on the opening times as it is usually closed.

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 20, 2009, 03:36:58 AM
The Great Wallet of Mono is reputed to be quite a sight........visible from space in fact. But check on the opening times as it is usually closed.

:lmfao:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Lucidor

PTOM, unless he takes offence: then this is a horrible insulting post that noone should laugh about!   :lmfao: ;)

Monoriu

1. The Peak, for an excellent view of the harbour (weather permitting).  This is almost a must see, and is basically free

2. Giant Buddha statue on Lantau island.  We built a cable car ride to it.

3. If you're into theme parks, then Hk Disney and/or Ocean Park.

4. Temple street hawkers/flea market

5. Restaurants.  I can give you suggestions if you want. 

6. Meeting me.

7. Electronics shopping.

8. Lan Kwai Fong.  It is basically a small area cramped with bars.  A favourite of expats and tourists.

9. Shopping in general.  Harbour city is the largest mall we have.

10. Star ferry ride across the habour.  Cheap, convenient, fast, excellent views.  Pay once (US$0.3 or so) and you can stay on the ferry for as long as you like.  The ride is like 10 minutes.

Monoriu

:lol:

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Brazen

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 20, 2009, 02:18:46 AM
Ideally I want to get a Chinese visa so I can also visit Shengzhen (and see the Minsk) and Guangzhou.
Get one from an HK travel agent rather than before you leave. It's much quicker and easier - you can get it overnight. Just don't do what I did and put "Journalist" as your profession  :Embarrass:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Brazen on December 21, 2009, 06:59:07 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 20, 2009, 02:18:46 AM
Ideally I want to get a Chinese visa so I can also visit Shengzhen (and see the Minsk) and Guangzhou.
Get one from an HK travel agent rather than before you leave. It's much quicker and easier - you can get it overnight. Just don't do what I did and put "Journalist" as your profession  :Embarrass:
What happened?
Outright refusal or a little guy following you?
██████
██████
██████

Brazen

Quote from: Tyr on December 21, 2009, 07:04:06 AM
What happened?
Outright refusal or a little guy following you?
The travel agent Tippexed it out and put "Office Manager" which caused no end of embarassment when the tour guide (we had one for just the two of us) asked what I did for a living.  :blush:

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on December 21, 2009, 06:55:41 AM
I demand a Mono meet AAR.

Easiest way is to write it yourself  :cool:

Zanza

I think I'll be in Hong Kong for a weekend or so from February to April sometime...

Jacob

I have some suggestions, which I'll give you a bit later.  Have to go to work now.

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on December 21, 2009, 06:55:41 AM
I demand a Mono meet AAR.

Mono has now met several Languishites IIRC.  Just don't tell his wife...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.