US General in Iraq defends court martial for pregnant soldiers

Started by sbr, December 20, 2009, 01:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

KRonn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 23, 2009, 08:19:15 PM
Decision reversed

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/34579550#34543418
Too bad. It really wasn't such a big deal it seems, and was just military discipline for what seemed responsible reasoning by the General.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: dps on December 23, 2009, 06:21:47 PM
First off if it's army policy to send pregnant soldiers home (as stated in the OP), does this general have the authority to change that on his own?  I'm not an expert on military law, but isn't what is and isn't a court-martial offense a matter of written law, not just something that individual commanders decide on?
I don't think the general can over-ride the policy on sending pregnant women home, and I have seen nothing to indicate that he even considered it.  As far as courts-martial are concerned, they are a matter of law (the USMJ) but the UCMJ allows for convening a court-martial on someone who incapacitates him/herself (or another soldier) for duty

QuoteAlso, how does it apply to both male and female soldiers?  Does that mean that if a male soldier is home on leave and gets his civilian wife pregnant, he can be court-martialed?  If so, the why?  It doesn't diminish readiness.
If the wife is a civilian, how could this general's military orders apply to her?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on December 20, 2009, 09:39:22 PM
What if religious soldiers are against using condoms or taking the pill? That threat would basically force those soldiers to go against their religion.
:bowler:

Martinus

Also, how does it apply to both male and female soldiers?  Does that mean that if a male soldier is home on leave and gets his civilian wife pregnant, he can be court-martialed?  If so, the why?  It doesn't diminish readiness.

I understood that to mean that if a male soldier fucks a female soldier and gets her pregnant, they will both be court-martialed, and not the example you made.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on December 24, 2009, 03:12:05 AM
Also, how does it apply to both male and female soldiers?  Does that mean that if a male soldier is home on leave and gets his civilian wife pregnant, he can be court-martialed?  If so, the why?  It doesn't diminish readiness.

I understood that to mean that if a male soldier fucks a female soldier and gets her pregnant, they will both be court-martialed, and not the example you made.

That makes sense, but the article said that the policy applied equally to male and female soldiers.  So it applies to female soldiers who get pregnant by civilians (and it seems to), if it doesn't apply to male soldiers who get civilians pregnant, it doens't apply equally.

DontSayBanana

I was under the impression that kind of fraternization was already verbot, not just in case of pregnancy. :huh:
Experience bij!

merithyn

And the rule goes byebye:

QuoteCommander to Rescind a Provision on Pregnancy

WASHINGTON (AP) — The top United States commander in Iraq intends to rescind a policy that had placed pregnant soldiers at risk of discipline.

The commander, Gen. Ray Odierno, has drafted a broad new policy for American forces in Iraq that will take effect Jan. 1 and will not include a pregnancy provision that one of his subordinate commanders enacted last month, the United States military command in Iraq said Thursday.

The news of General Odierno's order comes about a week after the pregnancy policy issued by Maj. Gen. Anthony Cucolo set off widespread criticism. General Cucolo had issued a policy that would permit the punishment of soldiers who become pregnant and their sexual partners.

The pregnancy provision was one of a variety of offenses for which General Cucolo said punishments could range from minor discipline to a court-martial.

In a conference call with reporters earlier this week, he said he would never actually seek to jail someone over a pregnancy. General Cucolo said the policy had been intended to emphasize the problems created when pregnant soldiers go home and leave behind a weaker unit.

The new general order issued by General Odierno, which follows a full review of existing orders, consolidates and replaces several general orders from United States commanders across Iraq.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on December 24, 2009, 09:28:54 AM

That makes sense, but the article said that the policy applied equally to male and female soldiers.  So it applies to female soldiers who get pregnant by civilians (and it seems to), if it doesn't apply to male soldiers who get civilians pregnant, it doens't apply equally.

Hint: only females have wombs. :P

grumbler

Both partners in rendering a soldier unable to continue her combat tour would be subject to discipline, unless the male partner was not a soldier and therefor not subject to the UCMJ.  It applies to male and female soldiers equally.  Dunno why this seems so hard to understand.

Bayraktar!

C.C.R.

Quote from: grumbler on December 27, 2009, 08:27:10 PM
Both partners in rendering a soldier unable to continue her combat tour would be subject to discipline, unless the male partner was not a soldier and therefor not subject to the UCMJ.  It applies to male and female soldiers equally.  Dunno why this seems so hard to understand.

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "Friendly Fire," eh?