News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ocean planet discovered

Started by jimmy olsen, December 16, 2009, 07:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

I'm with Jake. Tim is a retard.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on December 17, 2009, 07:42:48 AM
His leg really turns me on.  That, and his Puerto Rican heritage :perv:
Lol, you got visibly queasy when you saw it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Dude, you're gonna shatter everyone's image of me as uber-manly.  :cry:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on December 17, 2009, 08:30:26 AM
Actually, I think of you kind of like a big raccoon in Roman armour.  You march all over the place and bring order to the barbarians so you can eat their garbage.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on December 17, 2009, 09:25:23 AM
Actually, I think of you kind of like a big raccoon in Roman armour.  You march all over the place and bring order to the barbarians so you can eat their garbage.

:XD:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grallon

Quote from: Martinus on December 17, 2009, 01:37:05 AM
Though, I guess he needs to hedge his bets - one needs to be a retard to get fucked by grallon.  :cool:

Oh look, the shrilly soubrette is waving her duster where the wind blows, as usual. :P

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Caliga

:lmfao:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 16, 2009, 09:40:28 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 16, 2009, 08:31:54 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 16, 2009, 07:34:12 PM
He's fluent, but he's not a native speaker, he might not know.

:lol:

You're a fucking retard.
:huh: Just trying to be nice.

Seriously?  He said it was in Avalon awaiting King Arthur and your response to that is to then assume he doesn't know what the Holy Grail is?  Does that make any sense?

Logically he would assume you were zinging him back because nobody would assume somebody who just made a joke about something knows nothing about it.  That would be idiotic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

What's especially idiotic (in particular considering Tim purports to be a history teacher) is Timmay's apparent assumption that the figurative usage of the "Holy Grail" (as an object of long search) is somehow English-language-specific.

It's not some idiomatic expression that only makes sense in one language, like "red herring" - it's a universal cultural reference which is pretty straightforward (like "Trojan horse" for example).

If a person knows what the Holy Grail is, anyone sane would assume they also know the figurative meaning of the term, even if they can't speak a word in English.

Grallon

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 17, 2009, 02:47:07 AM

Surprised by G's positioning.

Mine was a general comment on how Tim is the butt of everyone's jokes here - not on the particulars of this thread.  I don't care one way or another who is smarter, dumber, bigger, wealthier, etc

Although since you require an opinion I could remark that Jake was his arrogant self - but then again he wouldn't be the Jacob we enjoy if he wasn't yes?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2009, 09:49:19 AM
Seriously?  He said it was in Avalon awaiting King Arthur and your response to that is to then assume he doesn't know what the Holy Grail is?  Does that make any sense?

I never said he didn't know what the actual grail was. The way he wrote (the emphasis in the first clause) it made it seem like a serious statement, I can't hear his tone of voice.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 17, 2009, 10:01:24 AM
I never said he didn't know what the actual grail was. The way he wrote (the emphasis in the first clause) it made it seem like a serious statement, I can't hear his tone of voice.

You couldn't tell he was being sarcastic?!  Really?  Alright...but if you were trying to zing him back you did a great job.

I just have a hard time believing it since it was such an incredibly well played and insulting jab.  Is Tim some sort of savant of internet flames?  So gifted he does not even have to try?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2009, 10:21:43 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 17, 2009, 10:01:24 AM

You couldn't tell he was being sarcastic?!  Really?  Alright...but if you were trying to zing him back you did a great job.

I just have a hard time believing it since it was such an incredibly well played and insulting jab.  Is Tim some sort of savant of internet flames?  So gifted he does not even have to try?

Idiot savant, that is. He has an ability to infuriate many people without even trying.

Malthus

:lmfao:

You win the thread.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers