News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

One for the Twilight fans

Started by Brazen, December 16, 2009, 07:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

So, Wiggs, you are going to seriously dispute my assertion the term "looks like" refers "means more than simply visual shapes and colors?" :blink:

Before we carry this absurdity any further, I just wanna confirm that this is, indeed, your position.

Because if it is, then stand by to learn something entirely new about the English language:  it isn't literal.  :cool:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on December 18, 2009, 05:18:31 PMBecause if it is, then stand by to learn something entirely new about the English language:  it isn't literal.  :cool:

Do you meant that literally?

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on December 18, 2009, 05:20:34 PM
Do you meant that literally?
Figuratively speaking, I suppose I do.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

/shrug

When I see a pig, I don't think "hmm, that looks like a cow." Even though they serve the exact same purpose.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to argue here, grumbler. Are you saying that vampire:human as human:cow is a good analogy? Cows don't become people. Cows don't look like people. People don't hide from cows.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 18, 2009, 05:40:51 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to argue here, grumbler. Are you saying that vampire:human as human:cow is a good analogy? Cows don't become people. Cows don't look like people. People don't hide from cows.

I do, since the ... incident.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 18, 2009, 05:40:51 PM
/shrug

When I see a pig, I don't think "hmm, that looks like a cow." Even though they serve the exact same purpose. 
/shrug

I don't really care what you think when you see a pig.  That's called a non-sequitur.

QuoteI'm not exactly sure what you're trying to argue here, grumbler. Are you saying that vampire:human as human:cow is a good analogy? Cows don't become people. Cows don't look like people. People don't hide from cows.
I am simply noting that the analogy of vampires fucking humans to humans fucking cows is not a "bad analogy," within the mythos of vampires as I understand it.  It isn't one I would use myself, but it made perfect sense to me when LaCroix used it.

BTW, you never answered the question:  are you going to dispute my assertion the term "looks like" refers to "more than simply visual shapes and colors?"  That was, after all, your earlier assertion.  I can understand why you would, upon reflection, realize that it was a foolish thing to assert, but I want to make sure that we have at least gotten that disagreement out of the way.

Bayraktar!

Korea

Um, can we go back to talking about how awesome Twilight is?  :mad:
I want my mother fucking points!

Eddie Teach

I would contain the term to visual stimuli and the associations directly related to those stimuli. Being edible is not a visual trait.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Korea on December 18, 2009, 11:10:50 PM
Um, can we go back to talking about how awesome Twilight is?  :mad:

That's sarcasm, right? :unsure:
Experience bij!

Korea

I want my mother fucking points!

Strix

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 18, 2009, 11:14:59 PM
I would contain the term to visual stimuli and the associations directly related to those stimuli. Being edible is not a visual trait.

I would disagree with that statement. Presentation is a major part of any edible dish. If it's not appealing to the eyes than a person is not likely to partake or enjoy the food as much.

That visual stimuli is important to vampires is clear from all the movies. Vampires are always sucking the blood out of HOTT petite chicks despite the fact that a hefty 500+ pound woman would give them a greater yield of blood.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Strix on December 19, 2009, 12:29:55 AM
Vampires are always sucking the blood out of HOTT petite chicks despite the fact that a hefty 500+ pound woman would give them a greater yield of blood.

Because the act of blood sucking is quasi-sexual in nature and not merely sustenance. Thus further weakening the analogy.

LaCroix

well,

at least a few people understood my random comment

:lol:

Eddie Teach

Heh, usually when I get sucked into an argument it starts with my own throwaway line.  ;)

Strix

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 19, 2009, 01:53:43 AM
Because the act of blood sucking is quasi-sexual in nature and not merely sustenance. Thus further weakening the analogy.

It's sexual up until the victim dies?  :lmfao:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher