And we're back!

Main Menu

One for the Twilight fans

Started by Brazen, December 16, 2009, 07:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on December 16, 2009, 09:26:31 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 16, 2009, 09:25:41 AM
One word, guys: girlfriend.  Plus, the books are far better than the movies thus far; I figured they were OK pulp fiction, but didn't get the craze.

Another word: gay
:ultra:

I tried to read the books after a group of my female friends turned pathetic and wimpering.  I managed ten pages before the sheer, overwhelming teenage girlness of the prose destroyed my will.  Gays are, if nothing else, wonderful prose stylists :P
Let's bomb Russia!

LaCroix

vampires are undead, why would they want to couple with a living body? no, it becomes sexual after death :yes:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on December 17, 2009, 10:03:02 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 17, 2009, 09:29:43 AM
Well, if the intent is that girls reading/watching the series identify themselves as Bella, casting someone who was Hollywood-pretty would have been counterproductive.

Well, the book has her as plain and non-pretty. The Emosanguinarian loves her smell and the fact that he can't read her mind. No because she is HOTT like Kristen Stewart
The plain and non-pretty thing is interesting.  I've heard a number of girls say they love Jane Eyre because Jane is so plain.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 18, 2009, 11:14:59 PM
I would contain the term to visual stimuli and the associations directly related to those stimuli. Being edible is not a visual trait.

When the Lloyd Bridges character in Airplane said "Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue" you were clueless as to what he meant, because he wasn't basing his comment on visual stimuli?

Literalists miss a lot of what is really going on in the world, including most of the jokes. 

More examples:

"Looks Like We'll Find Out How Mark Sanchez Enjoys Winter" http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/Looks-Like-Well-Find-Out-How-Mark-Sanchez-Enjoys-Winter-79676807.html

"The case has drawn fresh attention because it looks like the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Justice still may not understand how to stop a vastly more destructive, Bernie Madoff-like scheme from taking advantage if the nationwide cap-and-trade system is approved by Congress." http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/12/14/fraud-europes-cap-trade-red-flag-critics-say/

"It looks like the best we will get out of the Copenhagen climate summit will be kicking the can down the road again." http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/soundeconomywithjontalton/2010541127_winners_and_mostly_losers_from.htm

All of these must leave you baffled.  Learn to recognize when things are not literal and you will find a whole new universe opening up to you.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

I said cows don't look like people and I was obviously using it in a visual sense. You disagreed with the statement. The only conclusion left is that you are some kind of space alien who sees all terran life forms or at least all mammals as largely the same. Certainly you wouldn't say that if you were an anthromorphic creature like a vampire, werewolf, cyclops, elf, etc. You might say humans looked like monkeys though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Regarding the sexual nature of vampirism, the act of sucking blood is often seen as analagous to rape.

Viking

Quote from: Korea on December 18, 2009, 11:10:50 PM
Um, can we go back to talking about how awesome Twilight is?  :mad:

I'm not quite sure there is just some awe in Twilight, I think it's full of awe.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 19, 2009, 01:40:13 PM
I said cows don't look like people and I was obviously using it in a visual sense. You disagreed with the statement. The only conclusion left is that you are some kind of space alien who sees all terran life forms or at least all mammals as largely the same. Certainly you wouldn't say that if you were an anthromorphic creature like a vampire, werewolf, cyclops, elf, etc. You might say humans looked like monkeys though.
Dude, you fucked up, got called on it, and then danced the Flamenco on your crank.  Give it up.  Putting words in my mouth won't help you at this point.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on December 19, 2009, 07:50:08 PM
Quote from: Korea on December 18, 2009, 11:10:50 PM
Um, can we go back to talking about how awesome Twilight is?  :mad:

I'm not quite sure there is just some awe in Twilight, I think it's full of awe.
Actually, awesome and awful were once complimentary synonyms.   "Artificial" used to be a complimentary word as well.

Bayraktar!