News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

One for the Twilight fans

Started by Brazen, December 16, 2009, 07:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on December 17, 2009, 02:11:46 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 17, 2009, 01:50:08 PM
He's right. Cows don't look like people, nor can they be transformed into one.
Nor do vampires exist.  So arguing that the analogy fictional humans are to real cattle as fictional vampires are to real people cannot be countered by claiming that real humans don't look like real cattle.  The analogy doesn't compare real humans to real cattle.

Fictional humans don't look like real cattle either, except perhaps in fan fic by Teh Brain.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 17, 2009, 02:34:49 PM
Fictional humans don't look like real cattle either, except perhaps in fan fic by Teh Brain.
Or in vampire movies and books.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 17, 2009, 02:26:05 PM
I think the chick is kinda cute.
By real standards, or internet standards?  I think she is cute, but not by internet standards (aka "the girls where I work are cuter").
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Some girls lose all their cuteness when they open their mouths and begin to speak.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

I thought Miss Stewart has a John Kerry face.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Korea

I want my mother fucking points!

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on December 17, 2009, 05:58:53 PM
By real standards, or internet standards?  I think she is cute, but not by internet standards (aka "the girls where I work are cuter").
<_<

I'm usually the first person mocking internet standards, but I'm being quite serious here.  The strange thing is that most of my floor is Accounting... so it's baffling to me why so many hot chicks work here. :blink:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on December 17, 2009, 05:57:47 PM

In vampire books, the humans look like vampires, except with a bit more pigmentation. They don't look anything like cattle, even if they are used for the same purpose.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on December 18, 2009, 09:24:07 AM
Quote from: grumbler on December 17, 2009, 05:58:53 PM
<_<

I'm usually the first person mocking internet standards, but I'm being quite serious here.  The strange thing is that most of my floor is Accounting... so it's baffling to me why so many hot chicks work here. :blink:

The chicks are flooding bidness classes at your local university. be there or be square.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Drakken

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 18, 2009, 11:55:43 AM
Quote from: grumbler on December 17, 2009, 05:57:47 PM

In vampire books, the humans look like vampires, except with a bit more pigmentation. They don't look anything like cattle, even if they are used for the same purpose.

Not in the Guide to the Sabbat. Sabbies nickname them  "Kegs", "Cows", or "Cattles".  :contract:

Okey, it is not a "vampire novel", but still it is the only book remotely involving vampires that treat humans as they are for vampires : food.

Eddie Teach

I suspect those nicknames did not originate from the physical appearance of the humans.

And physical appearance aside, in any remotely traditional vampire mythos, the vampires were once human themselves. Thus it's completely natural they'd have thoughts about humans that went beyond "mmm, yummy."

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 18, 2009, 11:55:43 AM
That's not what they "look like" to vampires.*  To vampires, they "look" more like cattle than they do like vampires.

Or something like that.

*To vampires in books where vampires think of people as fud.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 18, 2009, 01:45:28 PM
I suspect those nicknames did not originate from the physical appearance of the humans.
I suspect that you are right, but since no one is arguing this, it is moot.

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Grumbler- does this

"look like"

or

I ask because apparently that term means more than simply visual shapes and colors to you. :P

QuoteThat's not what they "look like" to vampires.*  To vampires, they "look" more like cattle than they do like vampires.

Vampires might lump humans in with cattle, but it would be due to utility, not appearance.