News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish and the typical citizen

Started by Razgovory, December 16, 2009, 02:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've noticed that I tend to associate the typical citizen of a country with their representatives on Languish.  I'm not sure if this is because I'm insane or because this is a reasonable form of thinking.  It's hard to tell.  For instance, Marty is the typical Pole;  ignorant, shrill, and gay.  Syt is the typical German and so on.  This is more from those countries that don't have as much representation here I suppose, but it does lead to some odd conclusions.  French Canadians are for the most part  a deplorable people.  Ordinary Canadians are okay though.  I've never met an Icelander I liked.  Sweden is mostly made up of Nazis.  Eastern Europe is really bizarre consisting of thieves, fruits and religious loonies.  Hong Kong is the most terrifying place on earth.  These may all be wrong, but imagine if your first impression of Britain was Mongers.

Just musing I suppose.  Chime in if you like.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

I hold quite a few opinions my fellow Spaniards see as unusual if not simply outrageous. I'm pro-Israel and pro-military, for example.

katmai

See I use to like Sweden before joining EUOT/Languish. :(
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

I am not your average Hungarian so do not jump to conclusions. But it is natural to do so I guess. It is also the basis for racism

katmai

Quote from: Tamas on December 16, 2009, 02:47:07 AM
I am not your average Hungarian so do not jump to conclusions. But it is natural to do so I guess. It is also the basis for racism

Indeed till I met Tamas i thought that Hungarians were sophisticated and urbane, he's shown me the light.

Razgovory

Actually the opposite.  Racism is based on pre-conceived notions.  My opinion of Hungarians is based on a singular entity.  As far as I know you are the typical Hungarian.  Hell, you might be the only one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on December 16, 2009, 02:26:50 AM
Syt is the typical German

Kindly be more specific. :huh:

I think Zanza and syk are more indicative of Germans. I don't even live in Germany.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on December 16, 2009, 03:27:37 AM

Actually the opposite.  Racism is based on pre-conceived notions.  My opinion of Hungarians is based on a singular entity.  As far as I know you are the typical Hungarian.  Hell, you might be the only one.

:rolleyes:

Racism is based on seeing the filthy behaviour of blacks and arabs and not being stupid enough to buy the "they're just oppressed individuals" line.

The highest number of voters for Sweden's "racist" parties are unsurprisingly in the cities with the largest ratio of immigrants-to-immigrant-bullshit-behaviour.

Pedrito

I am a perfect italian. Make of it what you want  -_-

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

katmai

Quote from: Pedrito on December 16, 2009, 06:04:08 AM
I am a perfect italian. Make of it what you want  -_-

L.

I have it on good authority (Ed Anger and CdM) that means you drive around on a Vespa, sipping Cappuccino and saying Ciao!

Vricklund

Quote from: Slargos on December 16, 2009, 04:21:37 AM
The highest number of voters for Sweden's "racist" parties are unsurprisingly in the cities with the largest ratio of immigrants-to-immigrant-bullshit-behaviour.

Pardon me for being off topic but I have to dispute Slargos' ramblings. Granted, Malmö is a given, but apart from that I can't see the pattern. I do however see a pattern of rural, mostly agrarian areas, with relatively few immigrants voting for right wing parties.

I have yet to hear of any riots with cars being set on fire in the municipality of Oskarshamn, Högsby, Uppvidinge, Falköping, Gislaved, Hylte, Halsberg, Kumla, Lekeberg, Lindesberg, Nora, Ljusnarsberg or Avesta. All being municipalities outside of Skåne/Bleking where the right wing party of Sverigedemokraterna had their greatest success in the latest election.

If you allow ME to be racist and to label people - then I would argue that right wingers in Sweden are well-off hillbillies, sometimes with a strong religious/moral belief, that has only ever seen a coloured person on a postcard.

Sorry for being so wordy but Slargos' way of stating his own perception of the world as the one and only truth got to me this time. :)

Grey Fox

Why does Grallon, Zoupa, viper, oex, rex & I (Drakken is : excluded) make us deplorable or is it only grallon & I?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Vricklund on December 16, 2009, 06:52:34 AM
Pardon me for being off topic but I have to dispute Slargos' ramblings. Granted, Malmö is a given, but apart from that I can't see the pattern. I do however see a pattern of rural, mostly agrarian areas, with relatively few immigrants voting for right wing parties.

I have yet to hear of any riots with cars being set on fire in the municipality of Oskarshamn, Högsby, Uppvidinge, Falköping, Gislaved, Hylte, Halsberg, Kumla, Lekeberg, Lindesberg, Nora, Ljusnarsberg or Avesta. All being municipalities outside of Skåne/Bleking where the right wing party of Sverigedemokraterna had their greatest success in the latest election.

If you allow ME to be racist and to label people - then I would argue that right wingers in Sweden are well-off hillbillies, sometimes with a strong religious/moral belief, that has only ever seen a coloured person on a postcard.

Sorry for being so wordy but Slargos' way of stating his own perception of the world as the one and only truth got to me this time. :)
It seems to be that racist parties tend to have the most success in the areas with the biggest immigrant problems and in the areas with the least experience with immigrants who only have TV reports of the immigrant problems to go off.
Regular folk who meet decent immigrants/kids of immigrants in their life know better.
██████
██████
██████

Slargos

Quote from: Vricklund on December 16, 2009, 06:52:34 AM
Quote from: Slargos on December 16, 2009, 04:21:37 AM

:lol:

I wasn't talking about Sverigedemokraterna, but rather Nationaldemokraterna, which is an openly racist party with a decidedly nazi bent and which got seats in the Landskrona assembly.

Calling Sverigedemokraterna racist.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Though come to think of it, Sverigedemokraterna likely sees the same effect aswell. See especially Landskrona. No conicidence they got about a quarter of the vote there.

Tamas