Could you speak in your homeland if you went back to 1300AD?

Started by Martim Silva, December 14, 2009, 04:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martim Silva

I recently finished reading an old novel by Michael Crichton, Timeline, which is basically about a group of historians which time travels back to war-torn XIVth century France, caught between the English and French sides.

One of the points of the book which called my attention was that, although most of the protagonists were American, they had to use translation earpieces, as only the expert linguist could understand anyone, even the English.

Indeed, the American protagonists could not even speak to the local English speakers.

For example, when they arrive in the year 1357 AD, a boy comes running to the woman in the group and shouts to her:

Aydethee amsel! Grassa due! Aydethee!

And only her auriculars allow her to understand that she has to duck for cover.

Likewise, later another American protagonist is asked:

Howbite thou speakst foolsimple ohcopan, eek invich array thouart. Essay thousooth Earisher?

And is only rescued by his earpieces. Also, he has to resort to copying what he hears to try to answer questions, because he could not really articulate a sentence in English.

In this case, when he hears "Wee sayen yeaso. Ouriwis, thousay trew", and he gets by the earpiece that "thousay trew" is "you speak the truth" and uses the sentence to confirm what people were asking him.

Their total inability to communicate made me wonder is this is something particular to the English language, or if this is more common to other places.

You see, in Portugal our language did not change much. Our History students don't get classes in "ancient portuguese". When they get to study medieval texts, they just have to learn the abbreviations and get used to the style of writing; after that, they can start reading without any problems.

(In fact, they start reading XIIIth century texts within the first hour of teaching withouth any problems).

I myself got self-study in the area and can read our medieval codexes with no trouble whatsoever (it's just a matter of memorizing more abbreviations and getting used to a somewhat different font type); the language that is used in the texts gives me no doubt that I could immediately communicate with my people should I get to travel back to Lisbon in the year 1300 AD.

What about you? Could you speak to people if you time-travelled back to your own city in the year 1300 AD? I would like to hear from many countries, if possible.

For Americans, as I reckon nobody knows what kind of language Native Americans used in that era, let us instead say you get transported to the city of London in 1300 AD.

For a better example, here is the Prologue of the Canterbury Tales in Middle English (the language used in London in that year):

Whan that Aueryłł wt his shoures soote,
    The droghte of Marcħ, hath perced to the roote;
    And bathed euery veyne in swich lycour,
    Of which vertu engendred is the flour;

Whan zephirus eek wt his sweete breeth,
    Inspired hath in euery holt and heeth;
    The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne,
    Hath in the Ram, his half cours yronne;

And smale foweles, maken melodye,
    That slepen al the nyght with open iye;
    So priketh hem nature, in hir corages,
    Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrymages;

And Palmeres for to seeken straunge strondes,
    To ferne halwes, kouthe in sondry londes;
    And specially, from euery shyres ende,
    Of Engelond to Caunterbury they wende;

The holy blisful martir for to seke,
    That hem hath holpen whan þt they weere seeke.

EDIT: Changed "Tom Clancy" with the correct author, "Michael Crichton". Thanks to Caliga for pointing that out.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

QuoteFor Americans, as I reckon nobody knows what kind of language Native Americans used in that era, let us instead say you get transported to the city of London in 1300 AD.

For a better example, here is the Prologue of the Canterbury Tales in Middle English (the language used in London in that year):

Yeah, unfortunately my knowledge of the Tonkawa language is pretty limited....in fact the Language has been extinct for decades.

I think if I was sent back to my ancestors homeland in Chestershire England I would only be marginely better off.  14th century English is hard enough to read, God knows what it sounded like.  I mean especially as London English and Chester English was probably dramatically different.  Regional dialects probably ruled supreme back in those days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martim Silva

Quote from: Caliga on December 14, 2009, 04:22:51 PM
I thought Timeline was by Michael Crichton?  :huh:

Doh! You are quite right, I mixed the two (I spoke yesterday about Tom Clancys' novels and the name stayed in my head).

I fixed the OP thanks  :)

Caliga

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Martim Silva on December 14, 2009, 04:26:01 PM
Quote from: Caliga on December 14, 2009, 04:22:51 PM
I thought Timeline was by Michael Crichton?  :huh:

Doh! You are quite right, I mixed the two (I spoke yesterday about Tom Clancys' novels and the name stayed in my head).

I fixed the OP thanks  :)
PWNED!  Now make me some damn feijoada :mmm:

Razgovory

I would be unable to converse with the stone age tribes that live in Missouri.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on December 14, 2009, 04:26:02 PM
No problem, as I speak fluent Shawnee.  :cool:

There are about 100 speakers left in the world...and Cal is one of them!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Not fully, no. IIRC there was quite a leap languagewise in the 15th century. 16th century Swedish is no problem, 14th century Swedish is a bit harder.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

I'm Icelandic and we still speak my homeland's language as of 874 (first settlement).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Quote from: Viking on December 14, 2009, 04:32:11 PM
I'm Icelandic and we still speak my homeland's language as of 874 (first settlement).

You also think like 874.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Valmy