How Canada Screwed Over North American Cancer Patients

Started by jimmy olsen, December 13, 2009, 06:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 14, 2009, 04:18:34 PM
Looks like all the Canadians are rushing to accept the Canadian version and the Americans are rushing to accept the US version. :lol:

Well, I'm rushing primarily to mock Timmy.

Martinus

I for one applaud Canada's unilateral effort to rid the world of Timmyism. A bit late, but better late than never.

In other news:

Stem Cells Could Cure HIV

I can already hear the shrieks coming from the religious right over this.  :lol:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: viper37 on December 14, 2009, 04:16:54 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 13, 2009, 07:12:20 PM
Other people? Canada relies on it's domestic supply for these tests. It's only the US that's getting the shaft, the cancer patients of Canada are as well.
Our hospitals have a shortage of isotopes and need to buy them for much much more money on the foreign market.

Build your own reactor?  I mean, the US has been short sighted and decided to abandon the nuclear option a long time ago, and now you are paying for your lack of vision.
Blame your policies, not ours.
We were going to build our own, but the powers that be foolishly trusted you when you said it wasn't needed (knowing that was not the case).
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on December 14, 2009, 05:11:15 PM
I for one applaud Canada's unilateral effort to rid the world of Timmyism. A bit late, but better late than never.

In other news:

I can already hear the shrieks coming from the religious right over this.  :lol:
Don't worry.  I'm sure you'll die of something else.  Maybe cancer.  That would be hillarious.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 14, 2009, 12:45:59 PM
Or it could be profitable if governments exited the market.
I doubt it.  There's no way this could be profitable enough to justify the sheer monumental expense of building and maintaining a nuclear site.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on December 14, 2009, 10:03:44 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 14, 2009, 05:11:15 PM

In other news:

Don't worry.  I'm sure you'll die of something else.  Maybe cancer.  That would be hillarious.

Foot cancer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

If the US had a deal with Canada just activate the non-compliance clauses and STFU.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 14, 2009, 10:02:09 PM
We were going to build our own, but the powers that be foolishly trusted you when you said it wasn't needed (knowing that was not the case).
No.  You bowed to the Greens who considered nuclear energy to be the Ultimate Evil, alongside capitalism, and you abandonned this field of research with everything that comes with it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on December 14, 2009, 12:41:43 PM
I think you have your answer.  It is enormously useful, but not profitable.
Try to build a nuclear reactor anywhere in Canada.  Just try it.

People of Sept-Iles are already up in arms because a company wishes to prospect for uranium in a nearby site.
Figure if they were to build a nuclear reactor near Montreal, Toronto or even Calgary.

The left is gonna go insane.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on December 15, 2009, 12:55:32 PM
The left is gonna go insane.

Drives me nuts.  Nuclear energy gives off no greenhouse gases and yet they are still up in arms.  There is simply no pleasing some people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: viper37 on December 15, 2009, 12:55:32 PM
Try to build a nuclear reactor anywhere in Canada.  Just try it.
Do what Britain's doing: build them on the site of decommissioned nuclear reactors.  The local community are generally supportive because they know it's not an eternal Chernobyl and many of them are employed in the nuclear industry.

I remember growing up near Dounreay and the news (when they discovered particles on the local beach) needed someone to take the anti-nuclear line it was always the same woman, President and Chairwoman of Caithness Against Nuclear Dumping.  She was the only member.  Most people in the community were pretty phlegmatic about it, because they lived in nuclear community and knew people in that industry they were aware, for example, that even with all of those particles the beach was considerably less radioactive than Cornwall (because of tin) or Aberdeen (because of granite).
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 14, 2009, 11:40:00 PM
I doubt it.  There's no way this could be profitable enough to justify the sheer monumental expense of building and maintaining a nuclear site.
Brain can correct me if he decides to quit sulking in the corner, but medical/research reactors are not the same magnitude and cost as big power plants I believe. 

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 15, 2009, 02:12:38 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 14, 2009, 11:40:00 PM
Brain can correct me if he decides to quit sulking in the corner, but medical/research reactors are not the same magnitude and cost as big power plants I believe.

You are correct. I am in no position to estimate the cost of building a completely new reactor for isotope production but they are typically say 1/30th the size of a new power reactor, and as has been said there's plenty of room at existing nuclear sites. I suspect that many of the existing aging reactors can also be renovated or rebuilt for far less than a completely new one.

FWIW IIRC I once heard someone guesstimate the cost of replacing the Swedish isotope reactor (closed in 2005) at $100-200 million.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

Quote from: The Brain on December 15, 2009, 02:26:22 PM

FWIW IIRC I once heard someone guesstimate the cost of replacing the Swedish isotope reactor (closed in 2005) at $100-200 million.
That appears to be cheap for the US. There's probably more pork spending in many typical dysfunctional Congressional bills.   ;)