Started by jimmy olsen, December 13, 2009, 06:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 13, 2009, 07:25:28 PM
What really happened at the reactor:

Hard Ticket to Hawaii...
Now that's a great cheesy movie  :lol:

BVN

It is true that the supply chain of medical isotopes is fragile. There are, IIRC, 5 facilities in the whole world who produce medical isotopes: one in Canada, one in the Netherlands, one in Belgium, one in France and one in South-Africa.

Last year, the one in the Netherlands and the one in Belgium went down for emergency maintenance and as a result there was a severe shortage of isotopes in parts of Europe.

The sensible solution would be to build a few extra reactors and replace the ageing ones.
The Timmay solution: invade Canada and force them to uphold their isotope deliveries.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 13, 2009, 06:41:45 PM
this shortage is going to kill a lot of people. :mad:
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I approve of this.  Cancer is supposed to kill people.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

saskganesh

let's just send Tim some local water. then he can have all the isotopes he needs.

anyhow, MDS Nordion bought the isotopes business from AECL. if there's a shortage it's their error for not forward contracting with other facilities.
humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

Quote from: BVN on December 14, 2009, 03:57:55 AM
It is true that the supply chain of medical isotopes is fragile. There are, IIRC, 5 facilities in the whole world who produce medical isotopes: one in Canada, one in the Netherlands, one in Belgium, one in France and one in South-Africa.

Last year, the one in the Netherlands and the one in Belgium went down for emergency maintenance and as a result there was a severe shortage of isotopes in parts of Europe.

The sensible solution would be to build a few extra reactors and replace the ageing ones.
The Timmay solution: invade Canada and force them to uphold their isotope deliveries.

apparently every single one of those facilities is over 40 years old. if nuclear medicine is useful (and profitable), why can't someone build a new one?
humans were created in their own image

Barrister

Quote from: saskganesh on December 14, 2009, 12:32:46 PM

apparently every single one of those facilities is over 40 years old. if nuclear medicine is useful (and profitable), why can't someone build a new one?

I think you have your answer.  It is enormously useful, but not profitable.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Or it could be profitable if governments exited the market.

The Brain

I have first hand experience of isotope production at a reactor fairly similar to the ones mentioned. I could talk about the details but I don't think I will.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on December 14, 2009, 01:12:09 PM
I have first hand experience of isotope production at a reactor fairly similar to the ones mentioned. I could talk about the details but I don't think I will.

A goat just walking past your window didnt it.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on December 14, 2009, 12:41:43 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on December 14, 2009, 12:32:46 PM

I think you have your answer.  It is enormously useful, but not profitable.

It can certainly be profitable. But of course to be profitable you have to run a good operation.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

indeed, but then idiots go all "omfg, nucular reactoers are teh evol!!"

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 13, 2009, 07:12:20 PM
Other people? Canada relies on it's domestic supply for these tests. It's only the US that's getting the shaft, the cancer patients of Canada are as well.
Our hospitals have a shortage of isotopes and need to buy them for much much more money on the foreign market.

Build your own reactor?  I mean, the US has been short sighted and decided to abandon the nuclear option a long time ago, and now you are paying for your lack of vision.
Blame your policies, not ours.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Looks like all the Canadians are rushing to accept the Canadian version and the Americans are rushing to accept the US version. :lol:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 14, 2009, 04:18:34 PM
Looks like all the Canadians are rushing to accept the Canadian version and the Americans are rushing to accept the US version. :lol:

Here? Nope. I for one think it is stupid to be dependent on a bunch of flannel wearers for anything.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive