Lesbian beats black man to become mayor of the South's Largest City

Started by Faeelin, December 13, 2009, 02:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on December 14, 2009, 03:51:14 PM
I suspect a gay mayor could be elected in Atlanta and most of the other larger southern cities.
Isn't Atlanta majority black now?  That presents its own issues.

ulmont

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 14, 2009, 02:54:39 PM
Houston has been in the top 5 by population since the 80s. I don't think any southern city outside Texas is even in the top ten, but I bet Dallas and SA both are in there somewhere.

By Census Metro areas:

New York,
Los Angeles,
Chicago,
Dallas,
Philadelphia,
Houston,
Miami,
Atlanta,
Washington,
Boston
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 14, 2009, 05:07:47 PM
Isn't Atlanta majority black now?  That presents its own issues.

Atlanta has been majority black for decades.  The percentage has been dropping, though (current estimate 55.8% plus or minus 5.6 percent), which is part of why the latest mayor's race had the white candidate come around 700 votes behind the black candidate.

Eddie Teach

Atlanta proper is rather small as well, around 500k. On those lists it's about 35th in the country.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

ulmont

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 14, 2009, 06:04:21 PM
Atlanta proper is rather small as well, around 500k. On those lists it's about 35th in the country.

Yeah, but number 8 if you include the entire metro area.  Atlanta's border being incredibly artificial, "Atlanta proper" has next to zero meaning.

33: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

Eddie Teach

It's meaningful in comparing city governments. So Giuliani had a pretty solid claim to "executive experience" as he governed a city of 8 million.

For general purposes I agree metro area is better.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on December 14, 2009, 03:48:03 PM
Is the fact that she is a lesbian a big deal in the US? I am just wondering if the US South is more like Poland (where it would have been a big news) or more like, say, Western Europe (where openly gay mayors have been ruling Paris and Berlin for some time now, for example), when it comes to cultural acceptance of gay people.

Well this is the only place I have heard about it anywhere.  Nobody is acting like it is a big deal here.

Frankly most people do not really give a rats ass whether somebody is gay or straight it is just political busybodies and assholes who raise a big stink about it.  Fortunately they are shrill losers we can mostly ignore.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Marti is under the false impression that US conservatives sit around rubbing their hands all day trying to think of ways to kill and torture gay people.  The reality is the hardly anyone dwells on this issue at all, because in the extremely conservative, mostly rural areas where homosexuality is viewed with horror, all of the gays have either left or are deeply closeted.  Thus there's no reason to obsess over homosexuality because the issue is completely invisible there. :contract:

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on December 15, 2009, 08:59:20 AM
gays have...left

Yeah and this makes them different from straight people?  Rural areas tend to be aging and shrinking places with few job opportunities or prospects.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2009, 09:12:33 PM
Bull dyke hair do, bull dyke figure, lipstick clothes and lipstick..er, lipstick.

She's a hybrid.

Face is kinda cute.

It's like what Hillary Clinton would look like if she ate Bill Clinton.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Habbaku on December 13, 2009, 09:07:41 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 13, 2009, 04:23:55 PM
The question Languishites really want answered...lipstick or bulk-dyke?

Not sure what a "bulk-dyke" is, but here's the lady.  She's not a monster, but not exactly attractive :

For an older lady, she's not bad-looking. A bit heavy-set for my taste, but an attractive face.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Faeelin on December 13, 2009, 10:26:26 PM
Oil, I think. Now the poor sap wants to help people as  a lawyer.
No he doesn't.  People don't become lawyers to help people, they become lawyers to hurt people.  Deciding to become a lawyer is a negative choice, and is invariably fueled by negative emotions.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on December 15, 2009, 09:13:37 AM
For an older lady, she's not bad-looking. A bit heavy-set for my taste, but an attractive face.
Given the combination of her outfit, her haircut and her expression, she looks like she's in some kind of extremist paramilitary organization.  And given how thoughtlessly destructive political homos can be, she probably is.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on December 15, 2009, 09:08:11 AM
Yeah and this makes them different from straight people?  Rural areas tend to be aging and shrinking places with few job opportunities or prospects.
It doesn't, but I never said it did in that regard. ;)