News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hey, British Islanders!

Started by Syt, December 12, 2009, 08:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on December 13, 2009, 04:56:56 PM
It's funny. Over here they're notably more expensive than their competitors.
Yeah.
Pizza hut...fairly mid range stuff. Where you go if you're not pathetic enough for mcdonalds but you don't want to make an occasion/are to cheap to go to a real restaurant.
Dominos though is really expensive takeaway stuff. Tasy though.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 13, 2009, 06:10:12 PM
Quote from: The Larch on December 13, 2009, 04:56:56 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 13, 2009, 04:55:35 PM
Only time I order Domino's or Pizza Hut is whn I need 3 or 4 and they have those 5 buck deals. I may feed a crowd, but I'm not feeding them well. :cheapo:

It's funny. Over here they're notably more expensive than their competitors.

Same here, Pizza Hut is really expensive........the local competition is both cheaper and better  :huh:

:yes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2009, 01:20:06 PM
Side question: do you have "American bars" in your country?  If so, how are they different from normal bars?
No.  The closest is probably Americana-style diners. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

There is very little emulation of foreigners when it comes to pubs and bars; the British ones are the best after all  :bowler:

Now, cafes and restaurants are a very different matter; if it wasn't for foreign influences and ideas that scene would be depressing beyond belief.

Brazen

We need to thank Prince Albert for bringing us all our Christmas traditions of German origin. Not to mention penis piercing.

Pat

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2009, 01:20:06 PM
Side question: do you have "American bars" in your country?  If so, how are they different from normal bars?

In Sweden we have a big bostonian-american chain of sports bars called O'Learys. Great place to watch a game and have a few beers.

PDH

I don't see what's the big deal - lots of American themed places around here.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 14, 2009, 04:20:14 AM
There is very little emulation of foreigners when it comes to pubs and bars; the British ones are the best after all  :bowler:
One objection I have to British pubs as shown in movies (Yanks and Shaun of the Dead come to mind) is that the bar itself looks kind of cluttered and uncomfortable for drinking.

edit: Crying Game, very claustrophobic bar.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 14, 2009, 01:30:05 PM
One objection I have to British pubs as shown in movies (Yanks and Shaun of the Dead come to mind) is that the bar itself looks kind of cluttered and uncomfortable for drinking.

edit: Crying Game, very claustrophobic bar.
Very few people drink at the bar.  But they're not terribly cluttered up front - the spirits are behind the bar as are the draught taps which is all you're likely to find.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Some pubs do have small and overcrowded bar areas. It depends on the type of pub as well as the actual size of the bar. By standing at the bar you are stating that you are available to talk to all and sundry.......sitting at a table is a more private experience.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Pat on December 14, 2009, 10:51:17 AM
In Sweden we have a big bostonian-american chain of sports bars called O'Learys. Great place to watch a game and have a few beers.
How are they different from run of the mill Swedish bars?  Just more TVs?

Martim Silva

Quote from: Viking on December 13, 2009, 12:46:14 PM
both Guinness and Irish Pubs are English inventions, just like the Kilt.

Interestingly, the last person I saw wearing a Kilt was an Icelander...

I really miss German Christmas Markets. I wish we had them here too. Especially Glühwein, which made Christmas even more enjoyable.  :P

We DO have many Irish pubs, though... the Irish seem to be irresistibly drawn to building them everywhere.

Pat

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 14, 2009, 05:26:32 PM
Quote from: Pat on December 14, 2009, 10:51:17 AM
How are they different from run of the mill Swedish bars?  Just more TVs?

Not very different except in style, decor and food which is american-influenced. Loads of TVs, yeah, so even if there's several games on at once you know there'll be a TV with your game on.