News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hey, British Islanders!

Started by Syt, December 12, 2009, 08:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Warspite on December 12, 2009, 11:37:19 PM
We'll explain German Christmas markets over here when the rest of the world accounts for Irish pubs.
Irish diaspora, cheap and plentiful Irish bands.   And as Beeb already mentioned, a monopoly brewer willing to handle the meta marketing.

Admiral Yi

Side question: do you have "American bars" in your country?  If so, how are they different from normal bars?

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2009, 01:20:06 PM
Side question: do you have "American bars" in your country?  If so, how are they different from normal bars?

You'll find the occasional "burger bar" or "Western steakhouse". Otherwise, "American" over here is defined by McD, BK, KFC, the occasional Hooters and a TGIF. In Germany you'll also have Pizza Hut.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Can't recall any American-styled bars offhand. American influence is very dominant in fast food though.

Irish pubs can be divided into two types here, the plastic ones for everyone and the "real" ones where the Irish drink. There used to be a particularly fine Irish pub here in Preston, but it slowly lost it's clientele as the Irish economy boomed, got done up as a fake Irish pub and is now an English city centre pub.

Josquius

In Newcastle I recall one called Old Orleans yet for some weird reason was New Orleans themed; blues tat on the walls and all that. Lots of tatty 'western'/cowboy themed bars too. Sports Bars are also often kind of Americanish. But no specific 'American Bar'
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

There is also Glühwein in Alsace and Christmas markets but I don't think Syt and the Germans will disapprove nor will they surprised  :D
Besidesm Glühwein is a good way to dispose of not so good wine  :lol:
I tasted glögg thanks to the Swedish Church in Paris and it wasn't that good. Glühwein/Vin chaud FTW!

The Larch

There's one in a shopping mall in my city, part of a national chain. Lots of burguers, ribs and things like that. Also, unlimited Pepsi refills.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on December 13, 2009, 01:24:07 PM
In Germany you'll also have Pizza Hut.

I'm sorry. I apologize for my countrymen for inflicting that on your nation.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Larch

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 13, 2009, 04:38:15 PM

Over here Pizza Hut was bought out by Domino's. I still have to try them.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on December 13, 2009, 04:45:18 PM

And I apologize for Domino's.

The Larch

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 13, 2009, 04:47:10 PM
Quote from: The Larch on December 13, 2009, 04:45:18 PM

And I apologize for Domino's.

It's not high in my list of ordering priorities, way too many Argentine pizzerias in my city.  :lol:

Ed Anger

Only time I order Domino's or Pizza Hut is whn I need 3 or 4 and they have those 5 buck deals. I may feed a crowd, but I'm not feeding them well. :cheapo:

The Larch

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 13, 2009, 04:55:35 PM
Only time I order Domino's or Pizza Hut is whn I need 3 or 4 and they have those 5 buck deals. I may feed a crowd, but I'm not feeding them well. :cheapo:

It's funny. Over here they're notably more expensive than their competitors.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on December 13, 2009, 04:56:56 PM

It might be because there are 4 or 5 national chains plus the regionals and the mom and pop outfits all trying to knife each other.

And Americans are fat.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: The Larch on December 13, 2009, 04:56:56 PM

Same here, Pizza Hut is really expensive........the local competition is both cheaper and better  :huh: