And we're back!

Main Menu

It's a series of dismissals

Started by Caliga, April 01, 2009, 08:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

:)

All charges against former Sen. Ted Stevens to be dropped
The Alaska Republican was convicted last year on seven felony counts of lying on Senate financial disclosure forms.

By Mark Silva and Josh Meyer
5:28 AM PDT, April 1, 2009

The Justice Department plans to drop all charges against former Sen. Ted Stevens, the 85-year old Alaska Republican convicted last year of lying on Senate financial disclosure forms to conceal hundreds of thousands of dollars in gifts and home renovations from a businessman, according to a news report this morning.

Attorney General Eric Holder has concluded that the conviction of Stevens cannot be supported because of problems with the government's prosecution, which had been openly criticized by the trial judge, National Public Radio first reported.

The Justice Department would not comment on the report this morning,

Justice will withdraw its opposition to a defense motion for a new trial and will dismiss the indictment against Stevens, NPR reported, but that will require a court filing and none had been filed yet.

Stevens' lawyer, Brendan V. Sullivan Jr., said this morning that he had not been notified that the charges were being dropped but that he planned to attend an already scheduled meeting with Justice Department lawyers at 10 a.m. EDT to discuss the case.

"I do not have any confirmation from any government official.,'' said Sullivan, who said he been told by someone outside the department that the charges will be dropped.

Sullivan, one of the highest-profile defense lawyers in Washington, has long fought for the charges to be dropped in a case tainted by prosecutorial misconduct.

"It's fully justified ,'' said Sullivan, a senior partner at Williams & Connolly who has represented numerous high-profile clinents including Lt. Col. Oliver North of Iran-Contra fame and former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Henry Cisneros.

In December, in appealing the conviction, Stevens had asked a federal judge to grant him a new trial, arguing that the case against him had many "deficiencies."

The judge in the case repeatedly has delayed sentencing of the former longtime senator – the longest-serving Republican in the Senate -- who lost his bid for reelection in November in the face of the charges against him.

U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan had criticized prosecutors for misconduct, and held Justice Department lawyers in contempt last month for failing to turn documents over to him as ordered. He called their behavior "outrageous.''

Sullivan had ordered Justice to reveal the agency's internal communications regarding a whistle-blower complaint brought by an FBI agent involved in the investigation of Stevens.

Holder is said to have based his decision on Stevens' age, the fact that he is no longer in the Senate -- and "perhaps most importantly,'' because the new attorney general wanted to "send a message'' to prosecutors that misconduct will not be tolerated, NPR reported this morning.

Holder started his own career in the Public Integrity section of the Justice Department. The attorney general also knows the trial judge, Sullivan, well – the two served together as superior court judges.

For Stevens, a powerful Republican leader with 40 years in the Senate, the federal case against him became a career-killer.

A month-long trial showed that employees for VEICO Corp., an oil services company, had transformed Stevens' modest mountain cabin into a modern, two-story home with wraparound porches, sauna and wine cellar. Stevens maintained that he had paid $160,000 for the work, believing that covered all the costs.

A federal jury in Washington convicted Stevens on seven felony corruption charges stemming from his failure to report gifts and home remodeling work from a powerful oil services industry company. He became only the fifth sitting senator in U.S. history to be convicted of a felony.

Stevens, who was convicted in late October, returned home to Alaska a week before Election Day vowing to win reelection.

"I'm here to tell you that I am innocent of the charges that have been brought against me, and I will be vindicated," Stevens said then. "And there is one thing you can count on: I will never stop fighting for the people of Alaska.''

State Republican leaders still counted on the veteran politician to win reelection despite his conviction. But Democrat Mark Begich, mayor of Anchorage, defeated him, helping Democrats gain a greater majority.

Stevens had been credited with helping the Alaskan territory win statehood, settling Alaska Native land claims, expanding oil development and bringing home millions of federal dollars for highways, schools, hospitals and rural development.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

I am less than shocked to discover that the whole thing was a Democrat smear campaign.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: Neil on April 01, 2009, 08:37:25 AM
I am less than shocked to discover that the whole thing was a Democrat smear campaign.

In any case, Ted is so sleazy that he deserves it. :cool:

Valmy

I am less than shocked to discover a well paid defense attorney can get rich people out of anything.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

:cool: Liberty for the rich, justice for poors.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on April 01, 2009, 08:41:55 AM
:cool: Liberty for the rich, justice for poors.

That a Libertarian slogan?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

The Minsky Moment

It's an odd sort of Democratic smear campaign - involving a prosecution brought under the GOP administration and repudiated by the new Democratic AG.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

katmai

Andd the expected GOP letter was sent out over night.

QuoteAlaska Republicans: 'Begich should resign'

Posted by Alaska_Politics

Posted: April 2, 2009 - 9:01 am

From David Hulen in Anchorage --

In an overnight e-mail, Alaska Republican Party Chairman Randy Ruedrich calls for Sen. Mark Begich to step down and that a special election be held. Here's the e-mail (as it was sent):

Alaska Republican Party Hails Stevens Inocence

Anchorage, Alaska - The Alaska Republican Party has supported Senator Ted Stevens for more than 40 years and the party hailed the news today that the federal Department of Justice is dropping all charges against our former Senator.

"I am delighted to see justice moving forward. The position that the Alaska Republican Party took after the trial was that Alaskans needed to support the senator, and now we have further information to support our position," Randy Ruedrich, ARP Chairman, said.

The Alaska Republican Party further believes that current Senator Mark Begich should resign his position to allow for a new, special election, so Alaskans may have the chance to vote for a Senator without the improper influence of the corrupt Department of Justice.

The only reason Mark Begich won the election in November is because a few thousand Alaskans thought that Senator Ted Stevens was guilty of seven felonies. Senator Stevens has maintained his innocence and now, even the Department of Justice acknowedges it's wrong doing.

A special election will allow Alaskans to have a real, non-biased, credible process where the most qualified person could win, without the manipulation of the Department of Justice.

"We'll look forward to the complete story presenting itself and clearing Senator Stevens name.," Ruedrich said.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

I'm sure Begich will comply. :yes:

Dude, seriously... it's time for you to retire, Mr. Stevens.

katmai

Quote from: Caliga on April 02, 2009, 01:20:12 PM

Heh GOP chairman Ruedrich thinks Palin is too liberal, tells ya what kind of nutbar he is.

katmai

Quote from: Caliga on April 02, 2009, 01:20:12 PM

:lmfao:

And now Palin has agreed that Begich should resign and have a special election. :bleeding:

DGuller

You guys seriously need to check the mercury level in your fish.