And we're back!

Main Menu

It's a series of dismissals

Started by Caliga, April 01, 2009, 08:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 02, 2009, 09:07:51 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 01, 2009, 08:37:25 AM
I am less than shocked to discover that the whole thing was a Democrat smear campaign.

It's an odd sort of Democratic smear campaign - involving a prosecution brought under the GOP administration and repudiated by the new Democratic AG.
Clearly the old, Republican AG was bribed by Democrats.  As for the new guy, maybe he has some integrity.  I know that'd be shocking, for a member of the party of Obama to have even a little bit of honour, but it's not impossible.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Okay, I have to say it:

-just because there were mistakes made by the prosecution does not mean that Stevens is innocent.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 02, 2009, 06:42:27 PM
Okay, I have to say it:

-just because there were mistakes made by the prosecution does not mean that Stevens is innocent.
Unfortunately, that's the system that lawyers have made for us.  If you help me turn over the rule of law, we can make things right.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Okay, I have to say it:

But boy what a fuck up the way the Feds handled this case.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DontSayBanana

Okay, I have to say it:

Actually, according to US legal principles, that could be the case. Innocent until proven guilty, so if the prosecution makes a mistake in the process of proving he's guilty, then he's assumed innocent and generally covered under double jeopardy protections. :smarty:

See: OJ Simpson, 1995.
Experience bij!

Barrister

The presumption of innocence is a legal principle that applies in a court of law - its not a principle that can (or should) apply in the wider world.

And double jeopardy only applies if he's been aquitted at trial.  Stevens was convicted. :contract:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on April 02, 2009, 07:21:38 PM
The presumption of innocence is a legal principle that applies in a court of law - its not a principle that can (or should) apply in the wider world.

And double jeopardy only applies if he's been aquitted at trial.  Stevens was convicted. :contract:
Fair enough. In that case, it's an appeals question, and an appeal to overturn can be responded to in kind.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Okay, I have to say it:

I thought you'd be more supportive of your fellow ice-dweller.  Look at Neil.  He supports his fellow eskimo.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on April 02, 2009, 09:59:27 PM
I thought you'd be more supportive of your fellow ice-dweller.  Look at Neil.  He supports his fellow eskimo.
...provided said Eskimo is not too dark. ;)
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

Okay, I have to say it:

Except of course when the prosecution fabricates evidence of guilt and withholds evidence of innocence as is now alleged.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/us/politics/08stevens.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Okay, I have to say it:

I thought I was being supportive of my fellow ice-dwelling prosecutors.   :cool:

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 07, 2009, 02:00:28 PM
Okay, I have to say it:

Except of course when the prosecution fabricates evidence of guilt and withholds evidence of innocence as is now alleged.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/us/politics/08stevens.html

It's NYT.  They are probably just saying this to defend the their fellow Dem.  The AG in Alaska.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on April 07, 2009, 02:22:43 PM
Okay, I have to say it:

I thought I was being supportive of my fellow ice-dwelling prosecutors.   :cool:

Uh they were D.C. based to my knowledge. :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son