Polish town buys donkey for Norwegian couple

Started by Syt, December 10, 2009, 01:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/poland/6729497/Polish-town-buys-new-donkey-for-Norwegian-round-the-world-couple.html

Polish town buys new donkey for Norwegian round-the-world couple

A Polish town has bought a new donkey for a Norwegian couple whose animal was slain while they were hiking with it through the country as part of an around-the-world trip.

Marianne and Werner Lovlie have spent 28 years hiking across the globe with three donkeys and several dogs.

But one of their donkeys was shot and killed on Sunday night while they were camping in the woods near the city of Golub-Dobrzyn.

Jan Kuzminski, deputy governor of the region, said on Friday that officials had purchased a new animal for the hikers.

Speaking on TVN24, Mr Kuzminski said authorities meant the purchase to be an apology. Residents had expressed outrage over the killing of the donkey.

Police are investigating the incident and believe that an illegal deer hunter mistook the donkey for a doe.

What an ass of a hunter. But: not guns kill Norwegian donkeys, blind Polish hunters do.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

LaCroix

Quote from: Syt on December 10, 2009, 01:31:10 PM
around-the-world trip.

should have just bought them a plane ticket. then again, poland has always been a little backwards

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Jacob

Strix

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

QuoteMarianne and Werner Lovlie have spent 28 years hiking across the globe with three donkeys and several dogs.

If they weren't from Norway but from Hungary or Romania, they'd probably not be called "round-the-world couple" but something like "homeless gipsies".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

Do I see a donkey and a dog kissing each other in the picture?

BVN

Quote from: Monoriu on December 11, 2009, 02:18:15 AM
Do I see a donkey and a dog kissing each other in the picture?
What an outrage! Next thing you now, they will demand the right to marry!  :mad:

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on December 10, 2009, 01:38:28 PM
I haven't heard of it. LOL.  :lol:
Thats good, here I was thinking it might be big news in Poland and thus this would be the image you get of Norwegians...
██████
██████
██████

Slargos

Quote from: Syt on December 11, 2009, 02:15:05 AM
QuoteMarianne and Werner Lovlie have spent 28 years hiking across the globe with three donkeys and several dogs.

If they weren't from Norway but from Hungary or Romania, they'd probably not be called "round-the-world couple" but something like "homeless gipsies".

Difference of course being that this couple probably pay their way, instead of stealing and cheating.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Slargos on December 11, 2009, 07:59:39 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 11, 2009, 02:15:05 AM

Difference of course being that this couple probably pay their way, instead of stealing, cheating and begging.

Fixed if for you ;)

Habbaku

I'd be interested in knowing how the couple have been paying their way this whole time.  Surely whatever money they brought with them has since run out?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Zanza

Quote from: Habbaku on December 11, 2009, 11:18:27 AM
I'd be interested in knowing how the couple have been paying their way this whole time.  Surely whatever money they brought with them has since run out?
Norwegian welfare should go a long way in most countries of the world.