News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Did Obama Snub the Nobel Prize Committee?

Started by Faeelin, December 10, 2009, 09:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2009, 11:06:57 AM
Quote from: Caliga on December 10, 2009, 11:02:23 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 10, 2009, 10:59:41 AM
European Monarchs don't have power but they are Heads of State.  So it's a way of paying respect to the nation.
I understand that, but the guy (Obama) is really busy.  If snubbing the King of Norway would result in Norway ending oil or sardine exports, or perhaps withdrawing from NATO, then that's one thing.  But we all know that isn't going to happen. :)

Well in practical terms the Norwegians have the usual six options:
One: do nothing.
Two: issue a statement deploring Obama's snub.
Three: lodge an official protest.
Four: cut off aid.
Five: break off diplomatic relations.
And six: declare war.

Unfortunately
If they do nothing, they implicitly agree with the snub.
If they issue a statement, they'll just look foolish.
If they lodge a protest, it'll be ignored.
they can't cut off aid, because they don't give us any.
If they break off diplomatic relations, they can't sell us oil.
And if they declare war, it might just look as though they were over-reacting.

Don't think Obama has not done the calculus here.

Well played.  :bowler:

Faeelin

Cal, here's one of the reasons Norwegians are angry:

QuoteKing Harald LIVED in the White House during WW II when he was a kid as guests of his god father - FDR.

I'm all for ignoring royalty, but King Harald is a somewhat different case. He still speaks English with a pronounced Tidewater accent, and calls people 'hon'. He crawled out of his sick bed to accompany his father to President Kennedy's funeral. Like his father before him, he has never invited a Republican President to the royal palace because they hate Republicans.

It's a minor diplomatic gaffe, but it's one in a string of gaffes from this man's presidency.

Martinus

Maybe Obama met with the Japanese Emperor to make up for the fact that FDR didn't let his family live in the White House too? :(

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on December 10, 2009, 10:58:10 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 10, 2009, 10:43:33 AM
I'm sorry did Norway think they mattered?
I think it's funny that it's a big deal he skipped out on a lunch with the King.  Does Norway's King have any actual political power (not a rhetorical question... I really don't know for sure)? Assuming 'no', then materially how is he different from any other rich dude?  Shouldn't Obama be spending his time trying to, you know, get shit done?  I don't think he has time to waste having tea and cupcakes with random rich people, especially if they're foreign random rich people who probably can't bribe Congressmen to do what Obama wants them to do.

How is meeting the Norwegian King different from meeting the Japanese Emperor. Both are old rich dudes with no political power, but who are immensely respected by their own people.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on December 11, 2009, 03:28:55 AM
Quote from: Caliga on December 10, 2009, 10:58:10 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 10, 2009, 10:43:33 AM
I'm sorry did Norway think they mattered?
I think it's funny that it's a big deal he skipped out on a lunch with the King.  Does Norway's King have any actual political power (not a rhetorical question... I really don't know for sure)? Assuming 'no', then materially how is he different from any other rich dude?  Shouldn't Obama be spending his time trying to, you know, get shit done?  I don't think he has time to waste having tea and cupcakes with random rich people, especially if they're foreign random rich people who probably can't bribe Congressmen to do what Obama wants them to do.

How is meeting the Norwegian King different from meeting the Japanese Emperor. Both are old rich dudes with no political power, but who are immensely respected by their own people.

Norway is colder.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 10, 2009, 12:18:32 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2009, 11:56:05 AM
So what's the word on the Norwegian street Viking?

Probably a variant on " Meg God! Denne øl er latterlig dyr!", it usually is  :huh:

It's like Cato's Cartago Delenda Est. It is said before and after any other statement.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

QuoteKing Harald LIVED in the White House during WW II when he was a kid as guests of his god father - FDR.

I'm all for ignoring royalty, but King Harald is a somewhat different case. He still speaks English with a pronounced Tidewater accent, and calls people 'hon'. He crawled out of his sick bed to accompany his father to President Kennedy's funeral. Like his father before him, he has never invited a Republican President to the royal palace because they hate Republicans.
:lol:
Wow, that is one awesome king. Can we have him?

Quote from: grumbler on December 10, 2009, 01:07:19 PM
:lo:  Straight to the ad hominim fallacy without even passing go! 

Obama's treatment of the Norwegian king is surely all about my issues!  :rolyes:
Wow, at first I thought you were just witch hunting but now it seems you really are dense enough to believe what you wrote. I just don't know what to say. Blimey.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on December 11, 2009, 06:25:28 AM
Wow, at first I thought you were just witch hunting but now it seems you really are dense enough to believe what you wrote.
Having gone straight to the ad hominim, why back off?  Pile on some more and add a personal insult!  At least your arguments are consistent.  :cool:

I enjoy seeing people like you engage in them because it merely proves that you have no rational  response to my argument, else you would be using it.  So, please, pour on the insults and ad homs, because I enjoy seeing you make them almost as much as you enjoy making them.  :hug:

QuoteI just don't know what to say. Blimey.
Sure you know what to say!  Make another ad hom argument (or even just a personal insult)!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on December 11, 2009, 07:12:54 AM
I enjoy eeing people like you engage in them because it merely proves that you have no rational  response to my argument, else you would be using it.  So, please, pour on the insults and ad homs, because I enjoy seeing you ae them almost as much as you enjoy making them.  :huSure you know what to say!  Make another ad hom argument (or even just a personal insult)!
Are you trolling here or what?
I'm just confused.
I've already rationally responded to and refuted  your silly argument.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Viking on December 10, 2009, 11:58:17 AM
:wub: Obama

so, norway is not going to do anything about it.... right now there is a torchlight demonstration in front of the parliament by the campaign for unilateral nuclear disarmament along with other groups (including iranian exile groups) protesting FOR the US President.
I think Norway should unilaterally disarms its nuclear weapons.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Caliga on December 10, 2009, 12:21:34 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 10, 2009, 11:59:39 AM
Fits nicely into my theory that Obama will gladly bow to non-white monarchs/heads of state, but disrespects European ones.  As always, I blame the skirts (in this case, Michelle) :D
Is Obama racist against the white man? :(

After years of looking down to the black man, whitey is now getting a taste of his own medicine.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on December 11, 2009, 03:28:55 AM
CLEARLY it's more important that he meet random fake rich people who crash White House parties than the King of Norway.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on December 11, 2009, 07:21:56 AM
Are you trolling here or what?
I'm just confused.
I've already rationally responded to and refuted  your silly argument.
Ah, that's absolutely outstanding!  :lol:

You add to the ad homs and personal insults a pre-emptive declaration of victory!   :lmfao:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!