Will the Navy develop a working, deployable railgun by 2020?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 09, 2009, 04:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will the Navy develop a working, deployable railgun by 2020?

Yes
8 (32%)
No
13 (52%)
What's a railgun? (GTFO)
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 25

jimmy olsen

Been reading up on the Navy's railgun program, looks pretty sweet, but will they be able to do it? Yes or no?

Wikipedia has a bunch interesting links on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun#References
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I thought those were sorta out of fashion.  Besides what does the Navy want with trains?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on December 09, 2009, 04:35:07 AM
I thought those were sorta out of fashion.  Besides what does the Navy want with trains?
I'm not sure if you're trolling or not. :unsure:

If not, then you should vote #3 and GTFO! :menace:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

I think we'll have one, but I don't think it will be deployed. Why?

1) Anti-Ship. The railgun seems to be most useful at ranges greater than modern guns. Why? The guns work fine and missiles and aircraft already do the job outside gun range and over the horizon.

2) Land targets. Guns work fine and long range missiles are preferrable since they can guide themselves to the target while the railgun will blow up the kindergarten on the other side of the street it the temperature is 29,2 degC rather than 29,1 degC at 100 kilometers.

3) Anti air. Guns do the close in job fine and missiles do the ranged job fine since they can correct their path.

I think the navy will have one, but will be slightly at a loss as to what to use it for (other than bombing Puerto Rico).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on December 09, 2009, 05:11:10 AM
I think we'll have one, but I don't think it will be deployed. Why?

1) Anti-Ship. The railgun seems to be most useful at ranges greater than modern guns. Why? The guns work fine and missiles and aircraft already do the job outside gun range and over the horizon.

2) Land targets. Guns work fine and long range missiles are preferrable since they can guide themselves to the target while the railgun will blow up the kindergarten on the other side of the street it the temperature is 29,2 degC rather than 29,1 degC at 100 kilometers.

3) Anti air. Guns do the close in job fine and missiles do the ranged job fine since they can correct their path.

I think the navy will have one, but will be slightly at a loss as to what to use it for (other than bombing Puerto Rico).
The big benefit is that using one is way cheaper than using a missile. Moreover, you don't have to store explosives on board.

I'm sure they're working on the accuracy part, we'll have to wait and see how successful they are.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 09, 2009, 05:16:00 AM
The big benefit is that using one is way cheaper than using a missile. Moreover, you don't have to store explosives on board.

I'm sure they're working on the accuracy part, we'll have to wait and see how successful they are.

Yet another reason it will not be deployed. I can't imagine the Navy saving money, then handing it back.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Slargos

The development of weapons capable of defeating an alien invasion is of utmost importance.

When said invasion happens, it's far too late to cry about what we did and did not develop.

I don't foresee such capability by 2020 but any work in the same direction is beneficial to humanity as a whole.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on December 09, 2009, 05:46:44 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 09, 2009, 05:16:00 AM

Yet another reason it will not be deployed. I can't imagine the Navy saving money, then handing it back.
Obviously they wouldn't hand the money back, they'd just spend it on something else.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Slargos on December 09, 2009, 06:48:26 AM
The development of weapons capable of defeating an alien invasion is of utmost importance.

When said invasion happens, it's far too late to cry about what we did and did not develop.

I don't foresee such capability by 2020 but any work in the same direction is beneficial to humanity as a whole.
Wouldn't the government just panic and nuke the landing zones?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 09, 2009, 07:22:08 AM
Quote from: Slargos on December 09, 2009, 06:48:26 AM

Wouldn't the government just panic and nuke the landing zones?

Gort is not amused.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on December 09, 2009, 07:40:42 AM
I can't imagine why they would.
Are you referring to the original question or the alien invasion hijack?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 09, 2009, 07:42:07 AM
Quote from: Neil on December 09, 2009, 07:40:42 AM
I can't imagine why they would.
Are you referring to the original question or the alien invasion hijack?

Could be both.  One implies space-traveling aliens would bother/need to actually land an invasion force...the other further compounds the obsolescence of dreadnoughts, and thus a threat to his paradigm.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.