Will the Navy develop a working, deployable railgun by 2020?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 09, 2009, 04:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will the Navy develop a working, deployable railgun by 2020?

Yes
8 (32%)
No
13 (52%)
What's a railgun? (GTFO)
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2009, 11:59:54 AM
Quote from: Viking on December 09, 2009, 11:58:31 AM
1/2 * m * v^2
OK, besides twisted monkey bars and a physics formula?

A tomahawk weighs 1400 kg and has a 450 kg warhead with 4.6 milion joules per kilogram or ~2000 Megajoules

A 1400 kg railgun projectile needs to be moving at 1700 m/s to have 2000 Megajoules

as long as the railgun gets the projectile up to 6250 km/h when it hits the target pound for pound a stainless steel rod weighing as much as the tomahawk will do the same damage.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: ulmont on December 09, 2009, 12:12:08 PM
The Navy described their 8 megajoule test (and their current goal is 65 megajoules) as "hitting a target with a Ford Taurus at 380 mph."
Which sucks if you're standing in front of the Taurus when it hits.

OK, facetious aside.  I can see how it would be useful for structures and other hard targets.  But if drop a Taurus at 380 mph on the 50 yard line of a football field, what happens to a guy standing on the 30?  He just gets knocked over doesn't he?

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2009, 12:18:35 PM
Quote from: ulmont on December 09, 2009, 12:12:08 PM
The Navy described their 8 megajoule test (and their current goal is 65 megajoules) as "hitting a target with a Ford Taurus at 380 mph."
Which sucks if you're standing in front of the Taurus when it hits.

OK, facetious aside.  I can see how it would be useful for structures and other hard targets.  But if drop a Taurus at 380 mph on the 50 yard line of a football field, what happens to a guy standing on the 30?  He just gets knocked over doesn't he?

same effect as 2 kg of TNT.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

sbr

I have no idea whether they will or not, this is the first I have heard of it.  It does seem obsolete to me too; with the air power, missile and drone technology we are developing why would we need this rail gun?  If someone is able to completely neutralize the US' air power we are in deep shit anyway.  How safe would a floating gun platform be at that point?

Maximus

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you would need a fairly solid target, such as the ground, to stop the projectile and convert the kinetic energy. It also seems that said mass would absorb much of the kinetic energy, unlike, for example, an HE airburst. As such I see this as complementing, rather than replacing more conventional missiles.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2009, 12:18:35 PM
I think Taurus was a bad example, because Taurus would deform quite a bit during the impact.  If it was a solid rod that hit the football field at 380 mph, then I wouldn't be surprised if the guy 20 yeards away was hit by a wave of energy from the impact site, or by one of the many pieces of debris flying at very high speeds.  I imagine that a lump of earth will kill you if it hits you at 200 mph in square in the face.

Crazy_Ivan80

it's good stuff for the spacenavy.
Better that we're the ones blowing the chinks out of space instead of viceversa

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

sbr

I also assume the cheaper part comes after they have spent the billions on developing and building it.

Razgovory

Quote from: sbr on December 09, 2009, 02:35:02 PM
I also assume the cheaper part comes after they have spent the billions on developing and building it.

Still needs electricity.  If it takes two nuclear reactors to launch it's not much of a deal.