Cops in Rio de Janeiro & Sao Paulo have killed 11,000+ in the last 6 years

Started by jimmy olsen, December 08, 2009, 10:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

You obviously haven't seen "City of God", Tim, or the newer "Elite squad". Just to get an idea, here's the logo of the BOPE, Rio's elite military police, apparently responsible for most of those extrajudicial killings:

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2009, 10:17:34 PM
QuoteThe report also states that Rio police killed one person for every 23 people they arrested in 2008

Ok maybe I won't take that vacation to Rio...

Were you planning on running an errand for a drug cartel?  :P

Martinus

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2009, 10:17:34 PM
QuoteThe report also states that Rio police killed one person for every 23 people they arrested in 2008

Ok maybe I won't take that vacation to Rio...
Or if you do make sure you wear a t-shirt stating you are a foreigner and not just slum scum

QuoteDid you ever see the story of the guy who ran a D&D game for a Brazilian Death Squad?
http://forum.rpg.net/showpost.php?s=92119f49f8211026c7ded1c5914b1ff7&p=8210593&postcount=88
:lol:
Wow, hard to imagine guys like that playing RPGs though, even regular non-tough guys find them 'gay' (in the modern sense of the word)
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on December 09, 2009, 04:41:31 AM
You obviously haven't seen "City of God", Tim, or the newer "Elite squad". Just to get an idea, here's the logo of the BOPE, Rio's elite military police, apparently responsible for most of those extrajudicial killings:

Elite Squad Tropa de Elite will get a sequel next year, in build-up to the Rio de Janeiro Olympics perhaps  :D

Mr.Penguin

Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Jacob

I did a research trip to Sao Paulo last year, including going to a handful of favelas and spending time talking to some police officers.  Met some very interesting characters and heard some fascinating stories as well.

We had a security guard, of course, though ironically he didn't get to come with us into the favelas (it was thought he'd piss the drug gangs off too much leading to a confrontation).

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2009, 01:07:22 PM
I did a research trip to Sao Paulo last year, including going to a handful of favelas and spending time talking to some police officers.  Met some very interesting characters and heard some fascinating stories as well.

We had a security guard, of course, though ironically he didn't get to come with us into the favelas (it was thought he'd piss the drug gangs off too much leading to a confrontation).

What was the research for?   :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

What did you think of it overall?  One of the places to visit on my long-term list is Brazil... did it seem pretty safe overall, were the people friendly, was the food good, etc.?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on December 09, 2009, 01:22:09 PM

What did you think of it overall?  One of the places to visit on my long-term list is Brazil... did it seem pretty safe overall, were the people friendly, was the food good, etc.?

I think I've mentioned that by brother is dating a Brazillian girl, and he flew down there last summer to meet her family.  He quite enjoyed it, and said people were very friendly and hospitable.

Caliga

Barrister

Caliga

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 09, 2009, 01:26:46 PM
I think I've mentioned that by brother is dating a Brazillian girl

I did that once.  She was impressed I knew Cabral discovered Brazil in 1500 and I knew Brasilia was the capital and that Portuguese was the official language.  Getting laid by foreigners is easy when they discover you know something about their country if you are an American.

And while she was definitely the hottest girl I ever slept with she was definitely not Cal's type :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2009, 01:30:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 09, 2009, 01:26:46 PM
I think I've mentioned that by brother is dating a Brazillian girl

I did that once.  She was impressed I knew Cabral discovered Brazil in 1500 and I knew Brasilia was the capital and that Portuguese was the official language.  Getting laid by foreigners is easy when they discover you know something about their country if you are an American.

And while she was definitely the hottest girl I ever slept with she was definitely not Cal's type :(

America was discovered by Columbus in 1492, New York is the capital and English is the official language. Sex? :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.