Best Films of 2009!

Started by tia.electriss, December 07, 2009, 08:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

1. District 9
2. Coraline
3. 9
4. Ponyo

I saw enough films in 2009 to fill out the list, but they'd just be filler. Forgettable stuff, but District 9 was gold. Wikus is my bishi, etc.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

katmai

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on December 08, 2009, 10:05:52 PM
Quote from: Caliga on December 08, 2009, 09:50:40 PM
Quote from: katmai on December 08, 2009, 04:36:25 PM
I don't know Cal, but in a world where Uwe Boll keeps getting financed, anything is possible.
Yeah, explain that one to me too. :bleeding:

It's some kind of German tax loophole, to encourage the German film industry.  People can write off all their investment, then write off the loss.  Something like that.

That's what they would like you to believe!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on December 08, 2009, 10:05:52 PM
Quote from: Caliga on December 08, 2009, 09:50:40 PM
Quote from: katmai on December 08, 2009, 04:36:25 PM
I don't know Cal, but in a world where Uwe Boll keeps getting financed, anything is possible.
Yeah, explain that one to me too. :bleeding:

It's some kind of German tax loophole, to encourage the German film industry.  People can write off all their investment, then write off the loss.  Something like that.
Aren't they closing that loophole, partially due to shame?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Quote from: Neil on December 08, 2009, 10:29:03 PM

Aren't they closing that loophole, partially due to shame?

I think so, at least I thought  Zanza said something to the sort.

katmai

Dammit Buddha you are confusing me!

BuddhaRhubarb

sorry posted in wrong thread. I'm having a hard time using my tiny linux netbook. keys are too small for my ham hands.
:p

katmai

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on December 09, 2009, 01:55:00 AM
sorry posted in wrong thread. I'm having a hard time using my tiny linux netbook. keys are too small for my ham hands.

I feel your pain when trying to use iphone to surf languish :D

As to thread subject there are still a long list of films that i think would make up top 10 ( An Education, A Serious Man, Invictus and Where the wild Things are to name a few)
but current list would include:

Zombieland
Hurt Locker
Drag Me To Hell

Also heard good things about Tarantino's Basterds, Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr. Fox and (500) Days of Summer.

BuddhaRhubarb

my list will only include films I've actually seen, but there are a bunch, like Hurt Locker, that I've missed, that I imagine I would have liked a lot.

my list would include two token Canuck entries as well "It's Not Me I swear" - a PQ film about being a kid in the early 70's Free range FTW! and "Victoria Day" - a nice little (heavily "Sundance influenced") Indie pic about a HS hockey player and the very weird and kinda stressful week he has leading up to Victoria Day in 1988.

Hollywood - Star Trek, Drag Me To Hell.

still mulling the rest of the list. tough year as for me a lot of what I saw was good, but not great
:p

Capetan Mihali

Concur with "Drag Me To Hell".  Didn't catch as many films as I wanted to this year, though I did see some great repertoire screenings of old ones.  Where are the Habsys???   :mad:

Was "Waltz With Bashir" in 2009?  That's on my list.  "I've Loved You So Long" was good but I can't remember if it was 08 or 09.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

I'm turned off of Invictus by Morgan Freeman's and Matt Damon's crappy accents.