News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best Films of 2009!

Started by tia.electriss, December 07, 2009, 08:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: katmai on December 07, 2009, 10:02:56 PM
He's got that Last Airbender flick coming out next year iirc. and I think is starting a new flick after the new year.
Why oh why do people keep funding his projects?  :huh:

I know that most of them have been at least mildly profitable (except maybe the last one), and some have been huge successes, but there is a noticable downward trend, and the reviews keep getting more and more scathing.

I would fund a Shyamalan project if he was directing, perhaps, but definitely not where he's the writer as well.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Nonsense. Where's Julie & Julia?

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Fate

Red Cliff belongs on any red blooded languishite's list for 2009.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on December 08, 2009, 12:05:39 PM

I know that most of them have been at least mildly profitable (except maybe the last one), and some have been huge successes, but there is a noticable downward trend, and the reviews keep getting more and more scathing.

I would fund a Shyamalan project if he was directing, perhaps, but definitely not where he's the writer as well.

I quite liked The Village in spite of the bad reviews. Also the trend is up, though perhaps just a dead cat bounce, as The Happening wasn't nearly as bad as Lady in the Water.

By my count of the ones I've seen he's had 3 good ones, 2 meh, and one godawful.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

The village has an interesting premise, but it goes downhill from there.  Kind of the opposite of Signs, which had an absurd premise, but (IMO) had good acting and somewhat compelling characters, aside from Shyamalan's ridiculous cameo.

Admiral Yi

The Village would have made a good short story or Twilight Zone episode.  The plot twist wasn't enough to sustain a feature film.

lustindarkness

Watchmen and Zombieland are tied for 1st, the other 8 slots in my list stay empty.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Martinus

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 08, 2009, 04:32:55 PM
Watchmen and Zombieland are tied for 1st, the other 8 slots in my list stay empty.

Is Zombieland good? I'm debating whether to see it.

katmai

Quote from: Caliga on December 08, 2009, 12:05:39 PM
Quote from: katmai on December 07, 2009, 10:02:56 PM
He's got that Last Airbender flick coming out next year iirc. and I think is starting a new flick after the new year.

I don't know Cal, but in a world where Uwe Boll keeps getting financed, anything is possible.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Fate on December 08, 2009, 12:21:56 PM
Red Cliff belongs on any red blooded languishite's list for 2009.

Holy crap I completely forgot about that. I wonder if I can get it on DVD or bluray.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 07, 2009, 08:59:38 PM
Natalie Portman can't act. There. I said it. She's dull and lifeless and nearly every part she plays is completely transparent and vacuous. She's had like two movies she was any good in, and that's probably because the role she was playing is closer to the comfort zone of her real personality. It's like any time she has to play a character not herself she goes dead.

I figured she was only horrible in the Star Wars movies because of the inept direction that turned even Liam Neeson into a bad actor.  After seeing her in a few more things I think you are right.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: katmai on December 08, 2009, 04:36:25 PM
I don't know Cal, but in a world where Uwe Boll keeps getting financed, anything is possible.
Yeah, explain that one to me too. :bleeding:

katmai

Quote from: Caliga on December 08, 2009, 09:50:40 PM

Proof of teh Devil, as Boll must have sold his soul somewhere in the past.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Caliga on December 08, 2009, 09:50:40 PM

It's some kind of German tax loophole, to encourage the German film industry.  People can write off all their investment, then write off the loss.  Something like that.