News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In case you thought the GOP was ascendant...

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 07, 2009, 04:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2009, 10:35:32 AM
Another good example: the fucking brilliant idea that we should cut taxes and continue to spend anyway because, you know, cutting taxes will eventually raise revenues because it worked (sorta...ok it didn't) once before!  We will just take it on faith everything is going to work out exactly as we planned it!

Come on guys can't you be a little more, oh I don't know, CONSERVATIVE in your political ideas.

I don't disagree with your sentiment here, but I think now you're just spouting everything you hate about Republicans.  I would say this is the opposite of a radical approach-- it's the path of least resistance in fact.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2009, 11:16:07 AM
but I think now you're just spouting everything you hate about Republicans.

No if I did that I would have to bring up their religious fundamentalist wing :P

I like the old school Republicans, the Bush I Republicans.  So colorless, so boring, but so RIGHT for America.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2009, 11:12:59 AM
Okay, some of those ideas come close to being as radical as HealthScare, but it's not so much a mainstream GOP thing. 

I think one of the big reasons I am not so nervous about the HealthScare thing is that I have confidence in the Bluedogs (and the handful of Republicans who would actually consider voting for it) to water it down until it is only a small reform rather than a big shake-up.  The Leftists seem really angry at how it has gone so I presume it must be going well but I have been trying to ignore political news until we get closer to the election next year.  Plenty of time to catch up when I need the info.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DGuller

I think it's a bit too simplistic to say that everything radical is wrong, and that incremental change is always preferable.  Sometimes half-measures are the worst option of all.  Not always, but sometimes.  Unfortunately, there is no easy way out of having to think through the issues, and decided based on facts whether incremental or radical change is needed.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on December 08, 2009, 11:38:07 AM
I think it's a bit too simplistic to say that everything radical is wrong, and that incremental change is always preferable.  Sometimes half-measures are the worst option of all.  Not always, but sometimes.  Unfortunately, there is no easy way out of having to think through the issues, and decided based on facts whether incremental or radical change is needed.

The only time radical change is needed is when the situation is desperate so you might as well roll the dice.  The United States, a great world power, should not be taking unnecessary risks and should always bet on sure things.  Everytime we try some great experimental whatever it almost always turns out badly.

That is my view and I think history both recent and ancient back up my view.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2009, 11:44:09 AM
The only time radical change is needed is when the situation is desperate so you might as well roll the dice.  The United States, a great world power, should not be taking unnecessary risks and should always bet on sure things.  Everytime we try some great experimental whatever it almost always turns out badly.

Radical doesn't mean unknown outcome, it means a significant departure from current practice.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2009, 11:52:30 AM
Radical doesn't mean unknown outcome, it means a significant departure from current practice.

Right it means an expected outcome due to theory...some crackpot theory...and then unintended consequences come up.

Grallon

Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2009, 11:44:09 AM
...  Everytime we try some great experimental whatever it almost always turns out badly.

You guys put people on the moon and you can't manage to offer basic healthcare coverage for all your citizens?!  :lol:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2009, 11:54:36 AM
Right it means an expected outcome due to theory...some crackpot theory...and then unintended consequences come up.
Uh, no.  The New Deal introduced a lot of radical measures, such as Social Security.  Giving money to old people so they have money is not based on a crackpot theory.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2009, 11:54:36 AM

Occasionally, it leaves us better off than before.  If history were totally dominated by moderates, nothing would ever get done.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Grallon on December 08, 2009, 11:58:06 AM
You guys put people on the moon and you can't manage to offer basic healthcare coverage for all your citizens?!  :lol:

Putting people on the moon is based on science.  Trying to get the money to offer expensive services to over 300 million people is based on faith.

Caliga

Putting people on the moon is a far, far simpler project. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2009, 11:59:42 AM
Occasionally, it leaves us better off than before.  If history were totally dominated by moderates, nothing would ever get done.

Nonsense.  Almost all real progress is incremental -_-

derspiess

You're supposed to say we're the richest nation on earth, not the moon thing :angry:

Grallon

Quote from: Caliga on December 08, 2009, 12:01:42 PM

Putting people on the moon is a far, far simpler project. :)

Of course it goes against the ingrained dominant ideology - not to mention it disturbs powerful interests who happens to be large contributors for the political circus.  :yes:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel