In case you thought the GOP was ascendant...

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 07, 2009, 04:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 07, 2009, 05:47:04 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2009, 05:43:27 PM
Funny.  Muslims believe the same thing.
Muslims believe in free market economics?

Muslim and Republicans have the same desire to "get back to basics".  Somehow being more backward will give them more power.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Fate

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 07, 2009, 06:29:22 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 07, 2009, 06:27:03 PM
Heh, tea baggers.
Who knew that one day the GOP would be the party of John Waters :mellow:

We will not allow your juvenile antics to suppress the tea baggers right to dissent and protest. :angry:

alfred russel

A few years ago the democratic activists were trying to purge their moderate members like Lieberman. Now they run everything.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: alfred russel on December 07, 2009, 06:33:39 PM
A few years ago the democratic activists were trying to purge their moderate members like Lieberman. Now they run everything.
Not hardly. The second part t hat is.  The first is still going on.
PDH!

Fate

Quote from: alfred russel on December 07, 2009, 06:33:39 PM
This is a selective reading of history. Rahm Emmanuel is widely reviled by the left wing because he recruited, funded, and supported candidates that were capable of winning elections rather than ones who passed their ideological bar.

Lieberman is not a moderate. He's a child throwing a temper tantrum.

alfred russel

Quote from: Fate on December 07, 2009, 06:37:25 PM

This is a selective reading of history. Rahm Emmanuel is widely reviled by the left wing because he recruited, funded, and supported candidates that were capable of winning elections rather than ones who passed their ideological bar.

Thanks for making my point.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Scipio

Heh, tea baggers.
I swear, the fucking GOP has nobody with a brain, or under the age of 50, within the top 10% of the GOP.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Fate

Quote from: alfred russel on December 07, 2009, 07:11:22 PM

That New Democrat is now Chief of Staff. :mellow:

Left wing ideologues are certainly not "running everything."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on December 07, 2009, 07:24:39 PM
Heh, tea baggers.
I swear, the fucking GOP has nobody with a brain, or under the age of 50, within the top 10% of the GOP.

All the Reaganauts are dead.

alfred russel

Quote from: Fate on December 07, 2009, 08:45:32 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 07, 2009, 07:11:22 PM

That New Democrat is now Chief of Staff. :mellow:

Left wing ideologues are certainly not "running everything."

You know what? I fucked up my pronoun reference. Sorry fate. I meant to write:

A few years ago the democratic activists were trying to purge their moderate members like Lieberman. Now democrats run everything.

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 07, 2009, 05:14:52 PM
I thought the Republicans were going to be like the Tories in 1997

You mean, abandon conservatism?  No thanks.  I'd rather stay out of power a little longer than do that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2009, 09:50:35 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 07, 2009, 05:14:52 PM
I thought the Republicans were going to be like the Tories in 1997

You mean, abandon conservatism?  No thanks.  I'd rather stay out of power a little longer than do that.
I feel the same way.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on December 07, 2009, 05:24:07 PM
Believe it or not, there are a lot of people believing that Republicans can return to power only by embracing true conservatism, and by reversing the movement to the left on social and economic issues.  This radicalization is baffling, and scary.

The momentum seems to be much more economic than social (more than a few of the tea party types are libertarians). 

Personally, I'd put the social issues to the side to focus on the one thing that *should* bind all Republicans together: fiscal conservatism.  If the GOP can't even agree on that, then it doesn't deserve to return to power.  In other words, if a GOP candidate can't at least keep to the right on economic issues, screw 'em. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2009, 10:01:11 AM
Personally, I'd put the social issues to the side to focus on the one thing that *should* bind all Republicans together: fiscal conservatism.

If the Republicans did that I would support them.  It is the social shit that makes them simply unpalatable.  Well that and the Republicans come off as favoring aggressive radical solutions to problems which I hate, because aggressive and radical usually mean idiotic.  I find that a very strange quality for a party that claims to be "conservative".
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."