In case you thought the GOP was ascendant...

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 07, 2009, 04:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2009, 10:01:11 AM
Personally, I'd put the social issues to the side to focus on the one thing that *should* bind all Republicans together: fiscal conservatism.  If the GOP can't even agree on that, then it doesn't deserve to return to power.  In other words, if a GOP candidate can't at least keep to the right on economic issues, screw 'em.
It won't, though, because a large percentage of the base the Republicans need to hang on to is too stupid to understand fiscal issues.  Things like "OMG DONT KILL BABEIS" are easy for granny to understand.  Things like credit default swaps... not so much.

Don't get me wrong, a large percentage of the Democratic base is too stupid to understand these issues as well.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on December 08, 2009, 10:05:56 AM
Don't get me wrong, a large percentage of the Democratic base is too stupid to understand these issues as well.

A large percentage of voters period.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2009, 10:03:54 AM
Well that and the Republicans come off as favoring aggressive radical solutions to problems which I hate, because aggressive and radical usually mean idiotic. 

Is there anything you can think of that rises to the level of the Dems' healthcare legislation?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

It won't, though, because a large percentage of the base the Republicans need to hang on to is too stupid to understand fiscal issues.  Things like "OMG DONT KILL BABEIS" are easy for granny to understand.  Things like credit default swaps... not so much.

It happened before (see: 1994, Contract with America), and it can happen again.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2009, 10:01:11 AM
Personally, I'd put the social issues to the side to focus on the one thing that *should* bind all Republicans together: fiscal conservatism.  If the GOP can't even agree on that, then it doesn't deserve to return to power.  In other words, if a GOP candidate can't at least keep to the right on economic issues, screw 'em.

There is another explanation as well.  Fiscal conservatism is popular when it is an empty slogan.  It's not so popular when you get around to actually slashing spending or raising taxes.

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2009, 10:22:18 AM
It happened before (see: 1994, Contract with America), and it can happen again.
I see the Contract with America as a largely anti-Clinton thing, not so much as a fiscal conservatism thing.  Notably it came about soon after Billary health care was demolished.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2009, 10:17:10 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2009, 10:03:54 AM
Well that and the Republicans come off as favoring aggressive radical solutions to problems which I hate, because aggressive and radical usually mean idiotic. 

Is there anything you can think of that rises to the level of the Dems' healthcare legislation?

The fair tax (admittedly pushed by just a part of the party), invading Iraq, banning abortion.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2009, 10:17:10 AM

Practically every thing Bush II wanted to do had a grandiose, delusional, moronic vision, even in (especially in?) foreign policy.  Problem with Massachussets having gay marriage?  I know!  Lets change the Constitution!  Problem with Democrats being annoying with filibusters?  Nuclear option!  Everything is a fucking 'kill a flea with a sledgehammer' kneejerk over-reaction or a radical reform.  Oh and the various idiotic tax schemes their candidates trot out all the time 'OMG no taxes except sales tax LOL' or whatever.

The Democrats moronic ideas are tame and boring by comparison if not any less stupid.  I would rather have boring stupid ideas than radical ones thanks.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on December 08, 2009, 10:27:47 AM
I see the Contract with America as a largely anti-Clinton thing, not so much as a fiscal conservatism thing.  Notably it came about soon after Billary health care was demolished.  :)
How's that?  The Contract with America program cuts were not in areas Clinton had championed.

I would love nothing better than if the Tea Baggers were a broad-based popular movement for fiscal discipline, but that is not my impression.

Valmy

Another good example: the fucking brilliant idea that we should cut taxes and continue to spend anyway because, you know, cutting taxes will eventually raise revenues because it worked (sorta...ok it didn't) once before!  We will just take it on faith everything is going to work out exactly as we planned it!

Come on guys can't you be a little more, oh I don't know, CONSERVATIVE in your political ideas.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2009, 10:33:53 AM
I would love nothing better than if the Tea Baggers were a broad-based popular movement for fiscal discipline, but that is not my impression.

Yep.  It seems like the Ross Perot thing all over again...only crazier.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2009, 10:36:26 AM
Yep.  It seems like the Ross Perot thing all over again...only crazier.
I could live with that.  Ross Perot was a loon but he put deficit reduction on the political map.

Martinus

On a side note, I think it is interesting to remark that abortion and gay rights are actually two areas where Catholics and Josef Stalin would have been in a perfect agreement.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2009, 10:29:15 AM
Practically every thing Bush II wanted to do had a grandiose, delusional, moronic vision, even in (especially in?) foreign policy.

:rolleyes: Okay.

QuoteProblem with Massachussets having gay marriage?  I know!  Lets change the Constitution!

Okay, that's an overreaction.  But not as radical as HealthScare.

QuoteProblem with Democrats being annoying with filibusters?  Nuclear option!  Everything is a fucking 'kill a flea with a sledgehammer' kneejerk over-reaction or a radical reform. 

Not as radical.

QuoteOh and the various idiotic tax schemes their candidates trot out all the time 'OMG no taxes except sales tax LOL' or whatever.

Okay, some of those ideas come close to being as radical as HealthScare, but it's not so much a mainstream GOP thing. 

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on December 08, 2009, 10:43:12 AM
On a side note, I think it is interesting to remark that abortion and gay rights are actually two areas where Catholics and Josef Stalin would have been in a perfect agreement.

And you and Rush Limbaugh both agree that Macs are the coolest computers.  Point?