News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

My Imac may be dead :(

Started by BuddhaRhubarb, December 07, 2009, 12:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddhaRhubarb

was watching tv, went to check my email. frozen out. tried some different key combos, eventually a little screen came up saying I needed to reboot. I did. nothing. I get apple sound, it seemed to find the ipod, but not any other peripherals. and just a grey screen. rebooted with only keyboard and mouse. nothing.

after a minute or two of grey screen the fan seemed to be making noise but nothing else. I'm letting it sit for a few minutes while I cry onto my netbook linux box.

I don't think I can afford to get it repaired, or buy a "new" system (of any kind) I'm cursed with computers. Wouldn't matter what system it was, after a year or two every computer I buy just dies.

:(
:p

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Jaron on December 07, 2009, 01:00:45 AM
:nelson

:angry: remind me to laugh at you next time you unexpectedly lose hundreds of dollars and the novel you wasted a month starting.

asshole

Barrister

Get it to a repair shop pronto.

It may be nothing.  Or even if it's something fatal, the harddrive may be recoverable (and thus the novel).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on December 07, 2009, 01:04:32 AM

:angry: remind me to laugh at you next time you unexpectedly lose hundreds of dollars and the novel you wasted a month starting.

asshole

Easy does it, Buddha.  I'm going to say the same thing I said a minute ago:

As long as the drive wasn't what failed (and that sounds like a partial mobo or power supply crash to me), you could still just hook up the drive as a zombie to another Mac and pull the files off.
Experience bij!

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 07, 2009, 01:07:17 AM

asshole

As long as the drive wasn't what failed (and that sounds like a partial mobo or power supply crash to me), you could still just hook up the drive as a zombie to another Mac and pull the files off.

Hey Carrot could I connect it to my old g4 (sitting unused next to me) and do that?

Jaron

asshole

:nelson yet another Languish writer wannabe that will never finish a chapter, let alone a novel.

:nelson :nelson :nelson

BuddhaRhubarb

congrats jaron, you are about to be the first person I Un friend on facebook. I'm done with you. have a nice life asshole.

Jaron

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on December 07, 2009, 01:17:54 AM
congrats jaron, you are about to be the first person I Un friend on facebook. I'm done with you. have a nice life asshole.

^_^ I love firsts.

BuddhaRhubarb

fine with me. It's been done. I used to think it was an act with you, but obviously not.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on December 07, 2009, 01:12:46 AM
Hey Carrot could I connect it to my old g4 (sitting unused next to me) and do that?

As long as the G4 and the iMac were running the same OS, I don't see why not.  The only major snag I could see is if one was running old Mac OS while the other was running OSX - there seem to be a couple of compatibility issues; I'm not versed enough in Mac to know if it's just running legacy Mac OS programs that's the problem or if there's issues with the file system.
Experience bij!

BuddhaRhubarb

both osx the imac is a later update.

BuddhaRhubarb

I can't deal with it anymore. I'm going to sleep on it. I have to make my upcoming work schedules by hand now, as all my templates were on my hdd. It would cost more to get it repaired, than the thing is worth it's a 4 year old imac. every generation of computer seems to last less time. I hate the world and it's obsession with planned obsolescence right now.

Caliga

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 07, 2009, 01:07:17 AM

:yes: I'm not a Mac person, but assuming they are similar to PCs in this respect, the chance of all of your data being totally unrecoverable is very small.  Unfortunately data recovery services can get quite expensive, so if you can get that drive into another Mac before taking it to an Apple store (which likely will push you to pay for recovery services you may not need), then definitely try to do that.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points