News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

My Imac may be dead :(

Started by BuddhaRhubarb, December 07, 2009, 12:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on December 15, 2009, 01:36:16 PM
can't write to my ntfs drive plugged into the linux box. life continues to annoy me in small ways electronically

What distro and version?  Kernel 2.6.26 (I think) added Fuse to the kernel, which creates an abstract file system interface, and there is a Fuse module to write to NTFS.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: vonmoltke on December 15, 2009, 07:49:59 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on December 15, 2009, 01:36:16 PM
can't write to my ntfs drive plugged into the linux box. life continues to annoy me in small ways electronically

What distro and version?  Kernel 2.6.26 (I think) added Fuse to the kernel, which creates an abstract file system interface, and there is a Fuse module to write to NTFS.

d'oh :blush: it's actually a hfs+ mac drive. I found a line command thing to add and apparently work it out. but I have some other stuff to do first.
:p

BuddhaRhubarb

so i made it official, the imac is dead. I called the repair shop and asked them to box up my hdd in an external case and I'll pick it up on saturday (their shop hours match mine, so it's my first chance) then I start saving up to buy a new system maybe in March or so. this time I think I'm going to buy something brand new with like warranties and whatnot. so it may take longer.

meanwhile I will make do with the linux netbook, (and an old g3 ibook for a top secret project that i need office for)

Unless I crack under the pressure of not having a decent desktop and succumb to buying another used system) I'm weak that way when I see an awesome deal.

BuddhaRhubarb

got my hdd back in a nice external casing. No data loss. my habit of saving my word documents in older formats (fuck docx with a rusty knife) has saved me some grief, as I'm using a melange of older systems I have laying around (an ibook g3, and maybe my desktop g4 ppc if i can be arsed to make room for it outside my closet., as well as this little netbook for interwebbing.

things are not grim anymore. just vaguely depressing (until I buy something new. )

BuddhaRhubarb

well/ I've got all my ext HDDs including my dead imac (called zombie Imac on my desktop) hooked up to my old g4 powerpc mac. stuck at Tiger. Can do most of my daily computer needs, but it's still a bit of a step backwards interms of getting video/photo stuff done.

Everything else though works fine. so I'm happy until I can afford a new system (with warranties and so on this time around.)