News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

April Fools Day

Started by Ed Anger, March 31, 2009, 06:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Warspite on April 01, 2009, 06:31:20 AM

I got several replies saying "good joke", "haha", etc. But then at around 11am, one of my colleagues bursts into my office:

"Do you have a box set yet?"

Thinking he surely knows it was a joke, I played along.

"No, sorry, they are not here from the publisher yet, but you can order."

"Damn, I have General Richards downstairs, I told him about this and he wants to see a copy."

:frusty:

:lol:

You'd better get busy writing the rule-book.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

I sent this email around work this morning:

Combat Team Baghdad: Counter-Insurgency Wargaming

I'd buy this. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

According to one paper Sweden's parliament legalized gay marriage.  :lmfao:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

saskganesh

Quote from: Syt on April 01, 2009, 11:39:36 AM
I sent this email around work this morning:

Combat Team Baghdad: Counter-Insurgency Wargaming

I'd buy this. :)
I'd like to play it. does it have interrogation rules?
humans were created in their own image

Warspite

Quote from: Malthus on April 01, 2009, 11:14:20 AM

Well I already made a fake portion of map and fake counters :D

The problem is that when I sent out the email, I wished the product was real because it looked so cool.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Malthus

Quote from: Warspite on April 01, 2009, 12:09:48 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 01, 2009, 11:14:20 AM

Well I already made a fake portion of map and fake counters :D

The problem is that when I sent out the email, I wished the product was real because it looked so cool.

Indeed, I'd buy it. It is a cool concept and of course timely.

Hell, why not actually do it? There is evidently a market for it.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 01, 2009, 02:22:20 AM
This story is a transparent fabrication :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7975851.stm

It informs us that the world's leaders are converging on London to meet with Gordon Brown and have tea with the Queen. Nobody is going to fall for that one  :huh:

Is Obama gonna give the Queen some DVDs that won't play in the UK?  I know it's been done already, but jokes that clever tend to be reusable :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on April 01, 2009, 12:40:39 PMIndeed, I'd buy it. It is a cool concept and of course timely.

I'm actually surprised there aren't more Iraq War consims out yet.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

fhdz

April Fools' Day is retarded.  Having said that, I'm glad I'm no longer working in IT where my friend Liz used to make my life a living hell every April 1st. :D
and the horse you rode in on

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on April 01, 2009, 12:40:39 PMIt is a cool concept and of course timely.

:yes:

We have enough people on this board to give actual advice on the realities of this conflict and who could help playtest this.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

"Damn, I have General Richards downstairs, I told him about this and he wants to see a copy."

:frusty:

:lol: Awesome.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Today was the day people took tests to qualify for AP history courses.  Last night they had a reading package about the Morales administration in Brazil, and they were all wound up with anxiety about how they were going to need to write about Morales.   I made up the real test and then created a second one, identical, except the question:
"In what ways is the Evo Morales administration in Brazil like, and unlike, the reign of Clovis I, King of the Franks."
This was the version I handed out first.

The look on their face was priceless, as none of them, of course, had ever heard of Clovis I.  The most popular response after I said "April Fools" and handed out the real test was something about how I deserved death for that trick.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Apparently none of them knew that Evo Morales has never been in charge of anything in Brazil, either?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on April 01, 2009, 05:11:12 PM
Today was the day people took tests to qualify for AP history courses.  Last night they had a reading package about the Morales administration in Brazil, and they were all wound up with anxiety about how they were going to need to write about Morales.   I made up the real test and then created a second one, identical, except the question:
"In what ways is the Evo Morales administration in Brazil like, and unlike, the reign of Clovis I, King of the Franks."
This was the version I handed out first.

The look on their face was priceless, as none of them, of course, had ever heard of Clovis I.  The most popular response after I said "April Fools" and handed out the real test was something about how I deserved death for that trick.  :lol:

AP History people never having heard of Clovis I?  They fail nerdom.  Anyway I presume you mean Bolivia and not Brazil.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."