News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

ebook readers

Started by Ed Anger, December 05, 2009, 06:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Yeah, it isn't a computer, but who gives a fuck?

I'm going to order the Aluratek Libre eBook Reader Pro with 2GB card for all my naughty books. $169, but if I had ordered it during black friday, I could have had it for 137 thru newegg. dogfuckers.

http://aluratek.com/product_info.php?products_id=102&display=All

Hopefully, the PDF support isn't a joke.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2009, 06:38:42 PM
Hopefully, the PDF support isn't a joke.

Lemme know.  S' father has been blathering on and on about wanting an ebook reader.  I'm kind of having a :blink: moment when I look at the specs and realize it doesn't support PNG images, though.  I'd think they would want to encourage PNG to keep file sizes down.
Experience bij!

HisMajestyBOB

Yeah, keep us posted. I've been thinking of getting one.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ed Anger

The credit card I use for online purchases (low limit, blah blah) decided to be a bitch. purchase delayed while I yell at someone over the phone.

Grey Fox

Should have waited to next summer.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Looks like the e-book reader market is really starting to expand.  I might get one when they start to edge down closer to $100. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Okay, after yelling at multiple people regarding one of my cards , I ordered the ECTACO one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858723001

Expect a terse, short review in my usual style.

Josquius

Quote from: derspiess on December 07, 2009, 01:23:52 PM
Looks like the e-book reader market is really starting to expand.  I might get one when they start to edge down closer to $100. 
Me too.
They really are gonna be the ipod of the next 5 years.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 06, 2009, 08:42:06 PM
Lemme know.  S' father has been blathering on and on about wanting an ebook reader.  I'm kind of having a :blink: moment when I look at the specs and realize it doesn't support PNG images, though.  I'd think they would want to encourage PNG to keep file sizes down.

:rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Alatriste

One of my brothers just got an iLiber for his birthday. They are all more or less equal, 8 levels of grey, 6" screen, inner memory plus SD card, doubling as mp3 player... He's really happy with it, with only a few minor problems: many pdfs aren't adapted for small screens, and color comics are almost illegible (black&white ones are perfectly readable, tough) and supposedly on occasions special characters like the spanish 'ñ' aren't rendered correctly, but he hasn't found any example until now. 

derspiess

Hopefully we start seeing more of these on display in stores.  The only one I've had a chance to get my hands on was the Sony model they had on display at Target.  Liked it, but didn't "like it-like it".  Amazon might have sold me a Kindle at some point if I had been able to play with one.

An e-book reader is something I would be spending a lot of time with, so I would want to make damned sure I like the control, layout, & interface before I buy one.

That having been said, if I had money to burn & I weren't still boycotting Barnes & Noble, I'd buy a nook in a heartbeat to hack it & get free 3G web browsing :D http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/17/nook-hacked-with-web-browser-facebook-and-twitter-for-starters/
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on December 17, 2009, 11:17:17 AM
Hopefully we start seeing more of these on display in stores.  The only one I've had a chance to get my hands on was the Sony model they had on display at Target.  Liked it, but didn't "like it-like it".  Amazon might have sold me a Kindle at some point if I had been able to play with one.

An e-book reader is something I would be spending a lot of time with, so I would want to make damned sure I like the control, layout, & interface before I buy one.

That having been said, if I had money to burn & I weren't still boycotting Barnes & Noble, I'd buy a nook in a heartbeat to hack it & get free 3G web browsing :D http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/17/nook-hacked-with-web-browser-facebook-and-twitter-for-starters/

I read on mobile read that one of the brands has gotten itself in IGA supermarkets. I know when I go in a supermarket, I'm looking for consumer electronics.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 17, 2009, 03:19:57 PM
I read on mobile read that one of the brands has gotten itself in IGA supermarkets. I know when I go in a supermarket, I'm looking for consumer electronics.

Awesome.  Is the brand on par with the mp3 players you find in CVS stores?  :D

Ed Anger

Centon, better than iPod.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 17, 2009, 05:01:04 PM
Centon, better than iPod.

Craig FTW.  You get cutting edge design *and* quality.