News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

ebook readers

Started by Ed Anger, December 05, 2009, 06:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 11, 2010, 07:57:47 AM
I got a Kindle when I went back to the States a few weeks ago. I've been using it here in Korea, and it's pretty cool. It's very useful to buy books for $6.00 online, instead of 18,000 won in the book stores.

And I've backed up my e-books, even the Amazon ones, by zipping them to my hard drive. Take that Alatriste's Vast Amazon Conspiracy! :tinfoil:

Let me be the first to say it: I don't wanna hear it when you have to keep putting them back when firmware updates force you to delete them over and over again. :contract:
Experience bij!

Josquius

Quote from: Alatriste on March 11, 2010, 02:34:53 AM
2. Amazon can access your Kindle, check what you have stored on it, and keep complete control over the device you bought. They can delete files in your Kindle, not only the books they sold you, but also things like the notes you took. Tinfoil? Hah!

Tinfoil in the truest sense. Had I a kindle I'd be wrapping it in tinfoil to keep the evil amazon beams out :p
██████
██████
██████

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 11, 2010, 08:13:23 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 11, 2010, 07:57:47 AM
I got a Kindle when I went back to the States a few weeks ago. I've been using it here in Korea, and it's pretty cool. It's very useful to buy books for $6.00 online, instead of 18,000 won in the book stores.

And I've backed up my e-books, even the Amazon ones, by zipping them to my hard drive. Take that Alatriste's Vast Amazon Conspiracy! :tinfoil:

Let me be the first to say it: I don't wanna hear it when you have to keep putting them back when firmware updates force you to delete them over and over again. :contract:

It's called "Turn Wireless Off"  :P
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Alatriste

Quote from: Tyr on March 11, 2010, 02:03:51 PM
Quote from: Alatriste on March 11, 2010, 02:34:53 AM
2. Amazon can access your Kindle, check what you have stored on it, and keep complete control over the device you bought. They can delete files in your Kindle, not only the books they sold you, but also things like the notes you took. Tinfoil? Hah!

Tinfoil in the truest sense. Had I a kindle I'd be wrapping it in tinfoil to keep the evil amazon beams out :p

I know I said I wasn't going to say anything more, but this is just too funny to resist :lol:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html

In a move that angered customers and generated waves of online pique, Amazon remotely deleted some digital editions of the books from the Kindle devices of readers who had bought them.

We can discuss the ethics and the legality of the action until our tongues fall off and/or our fingers get cramps, but it's a fact Amazon can delete files in Kindles. They have done it.

And, HMBob, you took actions to protect your books from being deleted - a move I fully approve - and turned your wireless off  to keep Amazon's nose out of your Kindle, and still you think there is no "vast conspiracy"? Then, why have you deliberately crippled your Kindle?

HisMajestyBOB

Backups are deliberately crippling my Kindle? :tinfoil:

And while I usually have the wireless off to save battery (I rarely need to use it), I'd only have to permanently turn it off if they kept trying to delete something.

And odds are, I could easily thwart Amazon's attempts by finding software online capable of converting their DRM format to something else. Just like for nearly every DRM-protected file format. :lol:

Alatriste

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 12, 2010, 06:41:58 AM
Backups are deliberately crippling my Kindle? :tinfoil:

And while I usually have the wireless off to save battery (I rarely need to use it), I'd only have to permanently turn it off if they kept trying to delete something.

And odds are, I could easily thwart Amazon's attempts by finding software online capable of converting their DRM format to something else. Just like for nearly every DRM-protected file format. :lol:

You are being deliberately obtuse, that much is evident.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends [sigh]

1. Amazon has access to Kindles.
2. Amazon has used that access to delete files preemptively, without informing the buyers.

Of course you can turn off your wireless permanently to avoid it... and that equates crippling the device, IMHO.

I won't even enter in the legality of removing DRMs, since I'm no expert on the field, but this I have to say, and I'm repeating myself: How can you think of keeping your wireless always turned off and looking for shady DRM removers on the net, and still claim anyone criticizing Amazon's stance on this question is nuts?

It's not just a matter of 'OMG, they erased my book and I hadn't finished reading it!!!!' It raises a lot of questions regarding our privacy and our rights over the devices and the software we 'buy'... or perhaps lease would be a better term.

HisMajestyBOB

Also, Amazon's goons will beat in my door, beat me up and break my Kindle. :tinfoil:

derspiess

The Kindle-Orwell affair was one of the most overblown tech stories in the past few years.  If Amazon is as big a boogeyman as it gets, I think we're okay.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Quote from: Alatriste on March 12, 2010, 02:41:37 AM

I know I said I wasn't going to say anything more, but this is just too funny to resist :lol:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html

We can discuss the ethics and the legality of the action until our tongues fall off and/or our fingers get cramps, but it's a fact Amazon can delete files in Kindles. They have done it.
Note I'm the guy who posted the original link. I was joking but being serious about evil amazon beams ;)
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2010, 10:51:06 AM
The Kindle-Orwell affair was one of the most overblown tech stories in the past few years.  If Amazon is as big a boogeyman as it gets, I think we're okay.

:yes:

It was one freaking book that Amazon didn't have the rights to sell.  They have since apologized, re-imbursed everyone, and promised to never, ever do it again.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.