News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How much alcohol does your beer have?

Started by Syt, December 05, 2009, 11:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Austrian standard beers have around 5% vol.

Stiegl (brewed in Salzburg and at least sold in Quebec and Sweden outside Austria according to the deposit notes on the cans) has 4.9% while Ottakringer (also called 16-tin - 16er-Blech, due to the district in Vienna where it's brewed) has 5.3.

Other major brands in Austria (Edelweiss, Gösser, Schwechater, Kaiser, Wieselburger) have around 5%.

Bock beers (specialties among the above brands, usually brewed in spring) have ca. 7%.

How "heavy" are your local beers? :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Strix

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Slargos

2-10.

Most being in the 2.4-7.6 range.

I prefer 4-6 personally.

Syt

P.S.: I would like to rank "Leffe Brune" with its 6.5% and deceptively light taste as "most devious" beer right behind "Kloster Andechs Doppelbock" wíth its 7.1%.

P.P.S.: All European Langusih meets should take place in Brussels - a horridly boring town with splendid food and drink. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DisturbedPervert

Josquius

2,5-7.5.
Duvel (12 iirc) is too expensive. Makes no sense for what you get
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Most lager is 5% though some 4% versions are being introduced.

In terms of bitter and ale they are 3% through to 7% with just a few stronger ones. The range of English-style beers with lowish alcohol content (less than 3.5%) seems to be increasing and many of them are very tasty. I like these beers as they permit the English habit of knocking loads of beer back without any evil consequences  :cool:

Slargos

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 05, 2009, 12:07:08 PM
Most lager is 5% though some 4% versions are being introduced.

In terms of bitter and ale they are 3% through to 7% with just a few stronger ones. The range of English-style beers with lowish alcohol content (less than 3.5%) seems to be increasing and many of them are very tasty. I like these beers as they permit the English habit of knocking loads of beer back without any evil consequences  :cool:

I thought the evil consequences were the entire point of that particular english habit.  :P

MadBurgerMaker

Hm..Alamo Golden Ale is apparently 5.3%, looks like the various Shiner (kinda local) types run between 4 and 6.7%.  Lone Star and Pearl, which are both cheapass lawnmower beers, aren't brewed here anymore, but they're both probably in the 3-4% range for their regular and light types.  Can't think of any more that would be considered "local."

There's probably some stuff brewed in Austin that I'm not thinking of or don't know about (Austin is slightly closer than Shiner.  I can actually get up to Valmyland faster than I can get to the south side of SA at some times).

Zanza

A normal "Pils" in Germany has 4.9%.

Wheat beer has between 5-6%.

BuddhaRhubarb

it depends on the beer. I have no specific favorite anymore, as there are too many to choose from. But most that I drink I guess range from 5% (avg lager, or ale) to 8 or 9% weirdo craft beers with strange flavors and filtering techniques.
:p

sbr

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

ulmont