US copyright gestapo jails woman for filming birthday party at movie theater

Started by Syt, December 04, 2009, 08:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2009, 02:41:39 PM
BTW, the snack prices are so high these days in US theaters because the distribution companies now have to demand 100% of ticket prices to afford to distribute, so snacks are the theater's only source of income.
And the 20 minutes of commercials before the show.

That more than anything else has lowered my desire to go to the theatre. I rarely buy snacks anyway.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 04, 2009, 05:54:50 PM
I'd go to more theaters if they didn't admit anyone under 21, and Jim Crow was back.

If I want to listen to darkies talking in their cellphones with teenboppers shits running around kicking my seat, I'd ride the fucking bus.  Or go to Red Lobster.

Don't they tell people to shut the fucking phones off for the showing? In Poland there is a warning played before every movie telling them to do so, or else.

It's kind of a shame they had to start doing this in theatres as well - few years ago people going to a theatre would be cultured enough to turn they cells off without being prompted to. Fucking youth these days.  :rolleyes:

Martinus

Also, I think everyone who refers to a cinema as "a theater" should be shot, IMHO.

grumbler

Bogh, I guess we will just agree to disagree.  Long-term trends are down (since the end of the 2001 recession, inflation-adjusted box-office gross has declined, and ditto if we look at the last 20 years), and I disagree with you that the 2009 bump represents a long-term change in profitability.  Recessions seem to always help movie ticket sales.

But gross ticket sales doesn't reflect theater profitability.  The largest US chain reported its first profitable quarter in two years in 2009, but still lost $1.2 million for the first half of 2009 on sales of $255 million (http://www.allbusiness.com/media-telecommunications/movies-sound-recording/12610313-1.html).  The firm lost $6.6 million in the first six months of 2008.  That doesn't sound to me like a business that can afford to alienate customers.

Again, I would emphasize that this is in the US.  In your country, it may well be different.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Maximus on December 05, 2009, 09:17:54 AM
And the 20 minutes of commercials before the show. 
You are correct.  Ironically, this has resulted in a tug-of-war between theaters and distributors, since movie trailers are free advertising and cost the theaters time they could spend on paid advertising.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on December 05, 2009, 09:26:50 AM
Also, I think everyone who refers to a cinema as "a theater" should be shot, IMHO.
Also, I think any Polacks who try to tell native English-speakers what words they should use in their own common expressions shot be shot, gutted, and his head impaled over a shithouse door, IMO.

Bayraktar!

Syt

What's wrong with "(movie) theater"? It's not easily confused with stage plays.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on December 05, 2009, 09:43:30 AM

Movie theater is fine. But people talking about "going to a theater" when they in fact mean a movie theater/cinema are evil and should be destroyed.

Maximus

Quote from: Syt on December 05, 2009, 09:43:30 AM

Because that's what god intended when he made the English language: One word, one usage. :)

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on December 05, 2009, 09:38:03 AM
Also, I think any Polacks who try to tell native English-speakers what words they should use in their own common expressions shot be shot, gutted, and his head impaled over a shithouse door, IMO.

It's never used that way in the UK. So it's not about "native English-speakers" but more about "uneducated colonial hicks".

Syt

First movie showing in the U.S.: April 1896
First movie theater in the Poland: 1899

Also, the Empire of America has built: Hollywood and thus gets to call the venues whatever they feel like. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on December 05, 2009, 09:47:08 AM
Quote from: grumbler on December 05, 2009, 09:38:03 AM
It's never used that way in the UK. So it's not about "native English-speakers" but more about "uneducated colonial hicks".
How would you know?

Besides, as a Slav, you're not fit to judge us.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on December 05, 2009, 09:47:08 AM
Sure you wanna stick with that "never used that way in the UK," Polack-speaker?

Bayraktar!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████