US copyright gestapo jails woman for filming birthday party at movie theater

Started by Syt, December 04, 2009, 08:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on December 06, 2009, 10:36:11 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2009, 09:56:45 AM
Mart has fallen into Josq territory. That saddens me.
:unsure:
How is that 'Josq territory'?
Acting like you know stuff that you know nothing about.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on December 06, 2009, 10:45:53 AM

By that definition, Marty fell in a long time ago.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on December 05, 2009, 09:47:08 AM
Quote from: grumbler on December 05, 2009, 09:38:03 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 05, 2009, 09:26:50 AM
Also, I think everyone who refers to a cinema as "a theater" should be shot, IMHO.
Also, I think any Polacks who try to tell native English-speakers what words they should use in their own common expressions shot be shot, gutted, and his head impaled over a shithouse door, IMO.

It's never used that way in the UK. So it's not about "native English-speakers" but more about "uneducated colonial hicks".

If you knew what you were talking about, then people in the UK wouldn't laugh at you trying to defend them by fucking up "theatre".

Rasputin

Since becoming a parent, I've discovered that the theatre is a great place for adult nap-time. I've enjoyed an afternoon doze through the best that disney and lucas can throw at me. At $50 for tickets and overpriced junk food for the kids where else can I sleep for two and a half hours while the kids are entertained, out of trouble, and fed?

Who is John Galt?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2009, 02:41:39 PM
BTW, the snack prices are so high these days in US theaters because the distribution companies now have to demand 100% of ticket prices to afford to distribute, so snacks are the theater's only source of income.

Wait, here's the pwnage: that's the math the cheaper theater is using: tickets go to film leasing, snacks pay the theater's bills.
Experience bij!

Josquius

Quote from: Neil on December 06, 2009, 10:45:53 AM
Hey there, I'm one of the millions of people who post on the internet, pleased to meet you.
Though I really do this less than most, I'm pretty self-concious about always asking about things I don't know about .
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 06, 2009, 08:52:41 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2009, 02:41:39 PM
BTW, the snack prices are so high these days in US theaters because the distribution companies now have to demand 100% of ticket prices to afford to distribute, so snacks are the theater's only source of income.

Wait, here's the pwnage: that's the math the cheaper theater is using: tickets go to film leasing, snacks pay the theater's bills.
I am not sure what you mean, though I'd like to update my statement based on an explanation I got over the weekend; the distributors get a lessor percentage of the ticket income as time goes on (they will get top dollar for a week, and then the theater's share kicks in and increases over time).  This makes longer-running movies more profitable for the theaters, which is why, recently,  theater chains have shown some profits.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: grumbler on December 07, 2009, 08:04:11 AM
I am not sure what you mean, though I'd like to update my statement based on an explanation I got over the weekend; the distributors get a lessor percentage of the ticket income as time goes on (they will get top dollar for a week, and then the theater's share kicks in and increases over time).  This makes longer-running movies more profitable for the theaters, which is why, recently,  theater chains have shown some profits.

Yes, but the thing is the drive-in cycles movies to where it's showing 4-5 completely different movies each week.  There were a couple that stayed for a few weeks: Star Trek, Transformers, Harry Potter, etc., but the staff have been completely open (as part of their "intermission" reel, there's a brief thing about the economics of operating a drive-in) that the ticket prices are just to pay for leasing the reels, and that the snackbar is indeed their only source of revenue.
Experience bij!