Which is more important: Job or location?

Started by Tonitrus, December 04, 2009, 08:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Job or Location?

Job
9 (34.6%)
The world is what you make of it
5 (19.2%)
Being with Jaron is all I need
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Tonitrus

One thing that has come up a few times in my current career, for myself and people I know...is whether it is better to be stationed somewhere that you enjoy being, or a place where you enjoy what you do.

While I have one job in the USAF, even in that "job", one can do a different missions that make the work experience completely different from one done elsewhere.

For example, during my time in San Antonio, I enjoyed the work I did, but did not care for the city at all.  While here, Alaska is beautiful (still not perfect), but the work I do here is quite a bit more boring/mundane.

While it is obvious that having both is the ideal, if a choice had to be made, which is more important to you...being a in a place you enjoy living outside of work, or being in a, perhaps, crappy place doing work you enjoy?  Or is it as some say...a place is what you make of it?

Caliga

Hmmm... good question, but I (obviously) have to go with location.  Jobs come and go, but typically you don't *have* to leave where you live if you really don't want to.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grallon

A job is a job - nothing fun about it but it pays the bills.  So definately an enjoyable place to live for me.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

DontSayBanana

Location.  I'm convinced at this point that I couldn't find a job that would satisfy me enough to continue living here if I had any alternative.
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

ulmont

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 04, 2009, 08:04:54 AM
While it is obvious that having both is the ideal, if a choice had to be made, which is more important to you...being a in a place you enjoy living outside of work, or being in a, perhaps, crappy place doing work you enjoy?  Or is it as some say...a place is what you make of it?

Some of both, but mostly job.  You can order shit over the Internet anywhere, but something you enjoy doing with good coworkers is a lot harder to find.

On the other hand, you can't totally ignore weather, so I'm not moving any further north than Atlanta if I can help it.

Caliga

Quote from: ulmont on December 04, 2009, 10:06:17 AM
On the other hand, you can't totally ignore weather, so I'm not moving any further north than Atlanta if I can help it.
Ironically you're getting snow this weekend while I'm not. :smoke:

Seriously though, I agree... I'm not moving again unless it's further south... Atlanta is the furthest north I'd be willing to live and I'd prefer Florida or possibly Texas.

saskganesh

work first. you should aspire to be in a position where you can take your job anywhere, so location is moot.

now, if you were unemployed or underemployed or in career transition, location would matter quite a bit more.
humans were created in their own image

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on December 04, 2009, 10:18:53 AM

Seriously though, I agree... I'm not moving again unless it's further south... Atlanta is the furthest north I'd be willing to live and I'd prefer Florida or possibly Texas.

I wouldn't mind settling in Eastern Tennessee. Get about 10-20 acres, wall it off and rest.

Caliga

I like Chattanooga and Knoxville.  Gatlinburg, not so much.

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 04, 2009, 10:26:57 AM

I wouldn't mind settling in Eastern Tennessee. Get about 10-20 acres, wall it off and rest.

Ok, Mr Plainview.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Job. I'm willing to go anywhere for a decent job.
When I'm older and can afford the luxury of picking and chosing jobs things may be different but for now job all the way.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Of the two, I'd say job.  It's a lot harder to deal with sucky job than to deal with sucky location, especially to someone like me who doesn't go out much.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on December 04, 2009, 10:33:13 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 04, 2009, 10:26:57 AM

Ok, Mr Plainview.

There are times when I look at people and I see nothing worth liking. I want to earn enough money that I can get away from everyone.

Yep.

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 04, 2009, 10:52:37 AM
There are times when I look at people and I see nothing worth liking. I want to earn enough money that I can get away from everyone.

Yep.

Well, I have the same dream.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.