Coming Full Circle: Music you used to like as a teen and grew to like again?

Started by Martinus, December 04, 2009, 05:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Is there any artist or music genre that you used to be a fan as a teenager, then came to a conclusion it is "lame" or "uncool" or otherwise crappy, but then again got to like it in your adult age?

For me it's Rick Astley. I became a great fan of his when I was like 13 or 14. Then as I was going through my denial phase, I wouldn't touch his music with a twelve foot pole, but then I started to listen to recently, and I like it, in the same way I like Kylie or ABBA (i.e. not as the height of musical arts, but as a pleasant, dance-y entertainment).

What about you?

Sheilbh

I never stopped loving any sort of music.  My tastes tended to permanently expand.  So I'll defend the Pet Shop Boys from anyone :ultra:
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Well, yeah, I guess in the long term, me too. I guess I just had a brief spell of rejecting my inner gayness. :P

I started to listen to Enya lately again, too.  :blush:

Oh and Pet Shop Boys are wonderful. I think they are one of the best bands of the 1980s/90s. I'm actually planning to sing "Always on My Mind" at a lesbian karaoke bar I'm going to with friends next week.  :blush:

bogh

Quote from: Martinus on December 04, 2009, 05:27:15 AM
Oh and Pet Shop Boys are wonderful. I think they are one of the best bands of the 1980s/90s. I'm actually planning to sing "Always on My Mind" at a lesbian karaoke bar I'm going to with friends next week.  :blush:

Yeah, they really wrote a great song there.  ;)

BuddhaRhubarb

For me it's more of there is music that I didn't like much as a youngster but now have no idea why I was so stupid, the best examples being Joy Division & The Cure, both of which I used to ridicule people for even owning back in tha day... now I have most of their music and really enjoy it.
:p

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Genesis. First album I bought was Abacab. Then loathed them in the mid-late '80s as Phil Collins grated on me and let the grunge anger flow over me.

now, I can play the old genesis music and enjoy it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tamas

Jaron

Heathen. That song was done brilliantly and infinitely better by Elvis and Willie. :angry:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 04, 2009, 02:10:08 PM
Hey Marty, my mom really likes Rick Astley too.

Many mothers like him, it appears. I guess it's his "good boy" style. It's a surprise someone like him or Jason Donovan are not gay, tbh. :P

Martinus

Quote from: bogh on December 04, 2009, 06:08:42 AM

Yeah, they really wrote a great song there.  ;)
:lol: What can I say - very often I like covers more than the original performances. "Go West" by Pet Shop Boys, "Happy Together" by Jason Donovan, "Love Hurts" by Nazareth or "Hallelujah" by Rufus Wainwright or Jeff Buckley are other examples. :P

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Martinus on December 04, 2009, 04:04:00 PM
"Love Hurts" by Nazareth

Once upon a time, I held a poll to determine which version of this song was best.  I stand by the Gram Parsons/Emmylou Harris rendition.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 04, 2009, 05:25:05 AM
I never stopped loving any sort of music.  My tastes tended to permanently expand.

That's usually what happens with individuals with proper frontal lobe activity.  Which is why this is yet another threadfail from the failfag.

CountDeMoney