News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bible not conservative enough?

Started by Vise, December 03, 2009, 10:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 03, 2009, 05:29:08 PM
I am not sure what you are implying but how is pandering to the aristocracy by banning idol worship at the cost of upsetting the monks and peasants any different from decisions that any prince in the Renassaince might make.  Since when do people in power make decisions that upset their peers in order to appease the proles?  Sure there are some examples of this but they are the exceptions.  You might even argue that the US is the great exceception of the general time period.

The entire Western half of the Empire went into revolt and he lost the Empire in Italy and the Empire's enormous influence over the Papacy just by that one edict and it did not even phase him.  Why?  Because he thought he had God on his side.  If he did that to appease the Aristocracy it was the single worst Aristocracy appeasements in all of history.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Incidentally I also mean that it was spiritually motivated by the sort of common people, not just the elite (though I think it was by the elite). 
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2009, 05:53:43 PM
The entire Western half of the Empire went into revolt and he lost the Empire in Italy and the Empire's enormous influence over the Papacy just by that one edict and it did not even phase him.  Why?  Because he thought he had God on his side.  If he did that to appease the Aristocracy it was the single worst Aristocracy appeasements in all of history.

The folks in the west were not the elite of the empire....They were a bunch of largely illerate peasants.  Heck they couldnt even speak Greek. ;)  He was pandering to the elites within his circle of influence and he paid the price.  I am not sure what your point is.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2009, 05:57:06 PM
Incidentally I also mean that it was spiritually motivated by the sort of common people, not just the elite (though I think it was by the elite).

I can agree with you there.  I was thinking about the decisions made by the elites.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2009, 03:49:18 PM
So, who's the new guy?  And the other new guy?

Vise, Lecroix, Rasputin. They all kind of sound like OVB to me. Granted, it's still early.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 03, 2009, 06:05:53 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2009, 03:49:18 PM
So, who's the new guy?  And the other new guy?

Vise, Lecroix, Rasputin. They all kind of sound like OVB to me. Granted, it's still early.

Do they slur their typing like a drunk?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 03, 2009, 06:02:49 PM
I can agree with you there.  I was thinking about the decisions made by the elites.
Yeah I meant the sort of fervor of every spiritual/secular dispute.  I think it's impossible to deny the spiritual motivation of communities' participation in something like the Pilgrimage of Grace or the popular spiritual motivation behind the early schisms.

Now from the elite'ss perspective I don't think it's plausible to separate the spiritual from the secular through most of the history we know and it's impossible to know quite how the balance sits at any given moment. 
Let's bomb Russia!