News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fields of Glory

Started by Tamas, December 02, 2009, 04:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Okay so in a fit of spending spree I not only bought SI, but Armada 2526 as well, which is btw looks to be a VERY nice advanced-improved version of MMO1 (greatest 4X game to date), it's only that it is in serious disagreements with Vista at the moment, making it unplayable for me.

Anyways, point is, the urge to piss away my money is still here, so I am considering this ancient era tactical game. There is a fresh review up on the Wargamer which says PBEM is extra easy because it is handled by the game itself, which is nice, and gameplay is supposed to be fun in MP, but not in SP where the AI is weak.

So has anyone tried it?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Fields of Glory? Ah Microprose. I still miss the charging artillery.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Octavian

Quote from: The Brain on December 02, 2009, 03:49:46 PM

Yeah that was a classic!
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Viking

ahh.. what a wonderful game that was...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Quote from: Viking on December 03, 2009, 09:30:42 AM

Indeed :)

grumbler

Yep.  Order your infantry division to attack the enemy, and the first thing that happens is that your general, because he is mounted, charges the enemy and dies.  Then the artillery, still limbered, crashes into them snowflake-on-hot-stove-style.  Then the light infantry, then the line infantry.

Or, you could move all 1,000 separate bits of units one by one.

Your choice.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Lucidor

Quote from: grumbler on December 03, 2009, 02:38:15 PM

Yep.  Order your infantry division to attack the enemy, and the first thing that happens is that your general, because he is mounted, charges the enemy and dies.  Then the artillery, still limbered, crashes into them snowflake-on-hot-stove-style.  Then the light infantry, then the line infantry.

Or, you could move all 1,000 separate bits of units one by one.

Your choice.
I remember sort of liking the first few battles, but not liking the latter, because of the investment in time and the confusion.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Tamas on December 02, 2009, 04:13:53 AMbut Armada 2526 as well, which is btw looks to be a VERY nice advanced-improved version of MMO1 (greatest 4X game to date), it's only that it is in serious disagreements with Vista at the moment, making it unplayable for me.

MMO1?  Am planning on getting Armada once it goes retail.

Tamas

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on December 03, 2009, 03:36:14 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 02, 2009, 04:13:53 AMbut Armada 2526 as well, which is btw looks to be a VERY nice advanced-improved version of MMO1 (greatest 4X game to date), it's only that it is in serious disagreements with Vista at the moment, making it unplayable for me.

MMO1?  Am planning on getting Armada once it goes retail.

:lol: sorry I meant MOO1 Master of Orion

Tamas

Well of course the name is FIELD of Glory, and I could not resist to buy it.

Seems like a good decision, beside ease of use the first thing I noticed during the brief time I had to try it out was the usefulness of skirmishers. I mean, in most games I have played, you just could not understand what their use was ie. they were utterly useless. Here not only you can attack with them, but more importantly, you can use them to break the enemy formation. Like I was playing as Phyrrus in a battle against Romans (can't recall which but I think only one is featured in the game) and my initial plan was to maintain a solid center line of phalanxes while I mass up my hoplites against the Roman left (while sending my cav and elephants against their right where they had their cavalry). Well what happened was that Roman skirmishers (however you call the javelin dudes) got in the way and I had to choose to break my formation by stopping before them, or attacking them ,which ended up either slowing down that particular phalanx unit, or the Romans evading and my phalanx pursuin thus breaking formation.
Neat.

Overall this looks to be a very good tactical game with low unit density. Habbaku, Berk, buy it!

Alatriste

Usually they are called velites. But most experts agree velites did appear only during the Second Punic War. In times of Phyrrus Roman light infantrymen were called veles and weren't so well trained and equipped. Velites were armed with javelins, shield and sword, and probably wore helmets under their wolfskins; it would seem most veles only had javelins and perhaps a spear.

Jacob

So you're saying this might be good?

The table top version is apparently quite decent: http://www.fieldofglory.com/

Berkut

I just watched the MP video - it does look very slick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41t0ZM2rpxM
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Lucidor

Looks a bit like Commands and Colors.