News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Immigration... yet again

Started by Grallon, December 01, 2009, 09:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Grallon on December 01, 2009, 11:52:30 AM

So you're saying immigration should be considered principally from an economical point of view?

No, but humanitarian and cultural grounds are a bit more abstract and it seems as though a lot of people here reject those arguments.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

merithyn

@Meri

I suggest you ponder the benefits of clitoris ablation alongside the wondeful new recipes you can get from the new ethiopean neighboors.

G.

Obviously, you didn't read my comment closely enough. I said that we can all learn from one another, and what we can learn is both positive and negative in nature. By bringing in Ethiopian people, they are learning from us that what they do isn't acceptable, and we're learning what they do, and why, and can help take steps to stop it from a more educated position.

To say that all immigration or multi-culturalism is bad simply because we find some things distasteful seems a bit like cutting our nose off to spite our face.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 01, 2009, 11:58:50 AM
If they are Americanized what's the problem again?

Did I say there was a problem?  I was simply questioning having them around was really useful for doing business in China.  I am not particularly useful for doing business in England but I don't think I am a problem.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

I need Helots to pick my grapes and strawberries.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

If it wasn't for Immigration i would have grown up as a crazy leftist or getting rubbed on the beach. God bless Immigration :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on December 01, 2009, 12:02:01 PM
No, but humanitarian and cultural grounds are a bit more abstract and it seems as though a lot of people here reject those arguments.

I have to say I am not too crazy about humanitarian immigration it strikes me as far too arbitrary.  I mean how can we take one group on humanitarian grounds and not then take everybody not in a similar situation or worse?

The cultural stuff is not necessarily always a positive good to some people.  Granted it means the birth of a new culture taking on new elements the immigrants bring with them but it also means that the culture that was there before is changed and gone forever in the form it once had.  Some people will see that as a good thing and others will be upset by it.  Ergo it is a bit tricky to sell that as a reason to encourage immigration.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Quote from: HVC on December 01, 2009, 12:09:49 PM
If it wasn't for Immigration i would have grown up as a crazy leftist or getting rubbed on the beach. God bless Immigration :P

Canada turned you from a worthless eggplant into a delicious, juicy porkchop.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2009, 11:55:09 AM
So you're saying immigration should be considered principally from an economical point of view?

I would say that is the principal short term benefit.

As well as the principle long term benefit. 

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2009, 12:12:28 PM

I guess I should say the principal impetus for it.  People rarely immigrate someplace for the promise of something other than economic opportunities and they are rarely welcome when they arrive except as so far as they are useful economically.

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 01, 2009, 12:11:36 PMCanada turned you from a worthless eggplant into a delicious, juicy porkchop.
Are you trying to seduce me Mrs. Robinson? :o :D

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 01, 2009, 12:11:36 PM
Canada turned you from a worthless eggplant into a delicious, juicy porkchop.
Angerbutt is coming on to you Hillary.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2009, 12:05:22 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 01, 2009, 11:58:50 AM
If they are Americanized what's the problem again?

Did I say there was a problem?  I was simply questioning having them around was really useful for doing business in China.  I am not particularly useful for doing business in England but I don't think I am a problem.

I think you were the only person who brought up americanized descendants of immigrants. I hate to use the words, but you were arguing against a straw man. :bleeding:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on December 01, 2009, 12:18:04 PM
I think you were the only person who brought up americanized descendants of immigrants. I hate to use the words, but you were arguing against a straw man. :bleeding:

Ok so when you mentioned being able to do business in China was an advantage to having a more diverse society...you meant what exactly?  Because then talking about white americans it seemed to mean if we had a different sort of Americans it would do us more good...

If that was not your meaning why specifically did you go out of your way to say WHITE Americans?  That makes no sense otherwise.

Perhaps I simply misunderstood you but I did not invent any strawmen intentionally.

Grallon

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2009, 12:12:28 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2009, 11:55:09 AM

I would say that is the principal short term benefit.

Citizens are more than consumers/tax payers - and a country exists for other reasons than allowing private corporations to operate and rake in money. <_<

A society is a way life as much as it is a geopgraphical location and/or a legal polity.  Unplanned mass immigration may provide the private sector with plenty of cheap labor but it also introduces all kinds of tensions that could be avoided with some forethought and some precautions. 

Unfortunately politicians are creatures of the wealthy elite and do not take their responsabilities as custodians of the common wealfare.  <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2009, 12:27:06 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 01, 2009, 12:18:04 PM

Ok so when you mentioned being able to do business in China was an advantage to having a more diverse society...you meant what exactly?  Because then talking about white americans it seemed to mean if we had a different sort of Americans it would do us more good...

If that was not your meaning why specifically did you go out of your way to say WHITE Americans?  That makes no sense otherwise.

Perhaps I simply misunderstood you but I did not invent any strawmen intentionally.

Fair enough--I see where you were coming from.

Based on the thread, I figured it was understood that a diverse society would include immigrants, not just different racial groups.

I shouldn't have used the term white people from indiana--I started to refer to indiana, but parts of the state are actually fairly diverse so i wanted to put in another adjective.