Main Menu

Immigration... yet again

Started by Grallon, December 01, 2009, 09:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 01, 2009, 10:39:45 AM
I thought Jaron came here to make Spiess burritos?  :huh:

Speaking of which, green tomatillo salsa but NO GUAC  <_<
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Fate on December 01, 2009, 11:24:21 AM
Why would you have a hard time picturing that? Crossing the national border is the hard part. Going from California or Texas to Iowa is easy.

Because the population is 97% white and probably even more so in the rural ares.  Same in Oklahoma where I used to work on farms.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on December 01, 2009, 11:02:22 AM
There is something to be said that a more diverse society is going to be better able to compete internationally. Academia would also suffer.

Ah, yes.  The magic of Diversity.  Nobody can really explain why it makes us more competitive-- you just have to have faith that it does :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

In answer to the question, I think that immigration is necessary to allow people the opportunity to grow and learn beyond their little oasis of life. Bringing in new ideas, new ways to view life, and new options benefit everyone, even if we don't agree with them.

By learning more about another culture, I'm given the opportunity to either change my own habits to something better or strengthen my conviction that my habits are appropriate for me.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2009, 11:26:54 AM
Corn harvesting is all mechanized.  Latinos work mostly in meatpacking here abouts.  Or construction.

Good point.  What sort of agriculture is still that labor intensive?  I guess just fruit picking?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2009, 11:33:14 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2009, 11:26:54 AM
Corn harvesting is all mechanized.  Latinos work mostly in meatpacking here abouts.  Or construction.

Good point.  What sort of agriculture is still that labor intensive?  I guess just fruit picking?

De-tasseling  <_<

And yes, fruit picking.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on December 01, 2009, 11:32:56 AM
In answer to the question, I think that immigration is necessary to allow people the opportunity to grow and learn beyond their little oasis of life. Bringing in new ideas, new ways to view life, and new options benefit everyone, even if we don't agree with them.

Also it sure beats having net emigration.  When that happens it basically means everybody with the talent is leaving and nobody is coming in to replace them.

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on December 01, 2009, 11:32:35 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 01, 2009, 11:02:22 AM
There is something to be said that a more diverse society is going to be better able to compete internationally. Academia would also suffer.

Ah, yes.  The magic of Diversity.  Nobody can really explain why it makes us more competitive-- you just have to have faith that it does :D

I can explain it--a bunch of white americans from indiana aren't as likely to break into the chinese marketplace.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2009, 11:33:14 AM
Growing pot?  Sheering sheep?

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on December 01, 2009, 11:40:14 AM
I can explain it--a bunch of white americans from indiana aren't as likely to break into the chinese marketplace.

Yeah and a bunch of Americanized Chinese descendents from immigrants are going to be that much better?  I wouldn't hire the descendants of Irish immigrants thinking they were going to be experts on Ireland.  You really need people who live in or at least work with that market extensively...even white Americans...

Grallon

So you're saying immigration should be considered principally from an economical point of view?

@Meri

I suggest you ponder the benefits of clitoris ablation alongside the wondeful new recipes you can get from the new ethiopean neighboors.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2009, 11:49:05 AM

Yeah and a bunch of Americanized Chinese descendents from immigrants are going to be that much better?  I wouldn't hire the descendants of Irish immigrants thinking they were going to be experts on Ireland.  You really need people who live in or at least work with that market extensively...even white Americans...

Americanized Chinese Decscendants aren't immigrants. Actual immigrants from that part of the world are very important. Aside from their direct contributions, the white americans benefit a great deal from having interactions with immigrants--I'm not chinese but there is a bridge in that I've known a number of people from china.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Grallon on December 01, 2009, 11:52:30 AM
So you're saying immigration should be considered principally from an economical point of view?

I would say that is the principal short term benefit.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2009, 11:49:05 AM

If they are Americanized what's the problem again?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Canada needs to purge the French menace to protect her heritage.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers