News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jury Duty Don'ts

Started by garbon, November 30, 2009, 03:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

So I finally got out of Jury Duty this time.  3rd time I had to go in this year as you can't get actually excused (only deferred) on a financial hardship claim until you've exhausted paid days from your company.  Today it was a two day trial so I couldn't get out on financial grounds (which I would have otherwise got as I've used up my paid days)...and I got put in the jury box to be screened.

Even though there were people who had relatives who had died in similar crimes to the alleged one, I was the first person excused.  The People excused me because apparently they weren't comfortable with someone who said he was afraid of police officers.  I'm so embarrassed that such is now on the record. :Embarrass:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

:hug: As a white man I don't fear the po po. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2009, 03:34:01 PM
The People excused me because apparently they weren't comfortable with someone who said he was afraid of police officers. 

Good one.  The best line I ever heard coming from a potential jurer was that he thought everyone was guilty if they were charged and if he was forced to sit on the jury he would certainly vote guilty.

Faeelin

Quote from: Caliga on November 30, 2009, 03:39:52 PM
:hug: As a white man I don't fear the po po. :)

As a recent college student I loathe the po po. Bastards couldn't solve the murder case on campus, but give me a ticket? Absolutely.

garbon

Quote from: Faeelin on November 30, 2009, 03:41:28 PM
As a recent college student I loathe the po po. Bastards couldn't solve the murder case on campus, but give me a ticket? Absolutely.

I said that I had an aversion and then was asked to clarify what I meant. I said that I kind of feared police as I've never had a positive or what I feel was a beneficial interaction.  I then said that I didn't expect this to affect my decision making as I'm a reasonable person and believe that the police are just as likely to tell the truth as other people.

That said, I probably would have been excluded on the grounds that I don't think the criminal justice system is fair, if I'd actually answered that question. In fact, when no one objected to that statement, I felt like we were all liars. I don't think any BBs were present in the jury box.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2009, 03:34:01 PM
So I finally got out of Jury Duty this time.  3rd time I had to go in this year as you can't get actually excused (only deferred) on a financial hardship claim until you've exhausted paid days from your company.  Today it was a two day trial so I couldn't get out on financial grounds (which I would have otherwise got as I've used up my paid days)...and I got put in the jury box to be screened.

Even though there were people who had relatives who had died in similar crimes to the alleged one,
There was death involved and it was going to be only a two day trial?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Be careful what you say about po pos or CdM will warn you too.  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 01, 2009, 02:17:28 AM

No, there was no death.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on December 01, 2009, 03:17:56 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 01, 2009, 02:17:28 AM

No, there was no death.

Yeah, right.  :rolleyes:

Caliga

:yes: In Marti's America the police shoot to kill for even the slightest suspected offenses. :)

HisMajestyBOB

I was just summoned for jury duty, but unfortunately I can't do it.
I'd like to sit on a jury once in my life.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 01, 2009, 09:38:38 AM

They never summon me.  They have something like a sound mind and body clause?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

I did it.  The trial was fun.  Then once deliberations started, the real idiocy surfaced.  :cool:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on December 01, 2009, 10:08:39 AM

They never summon me.  They have something like a sound mind and body clause?

They don't call me either. Too many cops in the family.

Then again, I don't want to sit on a hard bench for 5 dollars a day.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

But they buy you lunch :mmm:

The court in Boston where I had to do jury duty was right next to a kickass grinder shop.  Nigga had to wait an extra three days for his judgment till I grew tired of the Italian grinders.  :)