Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on December 01, 2009, 11:55:26 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 01, 2009, 11:47:41 AM
Not where I'm at.
:mad:

Greene County is cheap. And who wants to spend the day in Xenia, Ohio? I don't want to die when a Tornado hits the town.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Woohoo!  I just got a jury summons today for next month  :cool:

One thing... they better bring us food from the BP *shakes fist angrily*

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on December 02, 2009, 07:18:42 PM
Woohoo!  I just got a jury summons today for next month  :cool:

One thing... they better bring us food from the BP *shakes fist angrily*

Congrats! :w00t:

You know what to do.  :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

I'd love to get a jury notice.

I'd send back my card and wonder how long it is before someone notices I'm both statutorily ineligible (all lawyers are) and biased as hell since I work in an office with 10 other prosecutors and we all talk.

2:1 that someone notices my name on the list and calls be up before the day of jury selection, 100 to 1 I get noticed within 5 minutes of walking into court.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on December 02, 2009, 07:21:30 PM

Prove that jury nullification is alive and well!

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Barrister on December 02, 2009, 07:23:31 PM
100 to 1 I get noticed within 5 minutes of walking into court.

The odds are that low?   :huh:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on December 02, 2009, 07:21:30 PM
Congrats! :w00t:

Extort the defendant for millions and then find for the plaintiff anyway?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

Quote from: ulmont on December 02, 2009, 07:23:54 PM

:yes:

I plan on doing just that if I am ever called up for jury duty and the guy is only being charged with a drug-related offense.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

Quote from: ulmont on December 02, 2009, 07:23:54 PM
Oh man, if I got on a marijuana case it would be SWEET. :smoke:

Barrister

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 02, 2009, 07:24:30 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 02, 2009, 07:23:31 PM
100 to 1 I get noticed within 5 minutes of walking into court.

The odds are that low?   :huh:

err, that high?  I think it a hundred to one that I don't get noticed within 5 minutes?

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on December 02, 2009, 07:35:55 PM
err, that high?  I think it a hundred to one that I don't get noticed within 5 minutes?

100:1 = low odds.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Neil

Criminals are right to fear agents of the law.

At any rate, I'm not subject to jury duty.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on December 02, 2009, 07:51:24 PM
Criminals are right to fear agents of the law.

At any rate, I'm not subject to jury duty.

:yeahright:

QuoteQualifications of jurors

3   Every person who is

(a)    resident in Alberta,

(b)    a Canadian citizen, and

(c)    18 years of age or older,

is qualified to serve as a juror.

1982 cJ‑2.1 s3

Exclusion from jury service

4   The following persons are excluded from serving as jurors:

(a)    members of the Privy Council, the Senate and the House of Commons of Canada;

(b)    members of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta and the Executive Council;

(c)    members of the council of a municipality or members of a board of trustees of a school district or school division;

(d)    judges of the Provincial Court, justices of the Court of Appeal and Court of Queen's Bench and justices of the peace, whether retired or not;

(e)    barristers and solicitors, whether or not they are practising, and students‑at‑law;

(f)    medical examiners under the Fatality Inquiries Act;

(g)    officers and employees of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta;

(h)    persons who

(i)    have been convicted of a criminal offence for which a pardon has not been granted, or

(ii)    are currently charged with a criminal offence;

(i)    witnesses summoned to attend before the Legislative Assembly or a committee of the Legislative Assembly during the period that their attendance is required;

(j)    persons confined in an institution;

(k)    persons engaged in the administration of justice, including

(i)    members and employees of any police service,

(ii)    probation officers,

(iii)    employees of the Department of Justice, and

(iv)    employees of the Department of Justice of Canada or the Department of the Solicitor General of Canada.

RSA 2000 cJ‑3 s4;2008 c20 s2

Exemption from jury service

5(1)  The following persons may be exempted from serving as jurors:

(a)    a person whose conscience or religious vows preclude the person from serving on a jury;

(b)    a person who has served on a jury within the 2 years preceding the person's summons to serve on a jury;

(c)    a person for whom service on a jury will cause severe hardship in respect of the person's health or livelihood or in respect of any legal or moral obligations the person may have to others;

(d)    a person who does not reside within a reasonable distance of the place where the proceedings are to be tried;

(e)    a person who suffers from a physical, mental or other infirmity that is incompatible with the discharge of the duties of a juror;

(f)    a person who is unable to understand, speak or read the language in which the trial is to be conducted;

(g)    a person whose service on a jury would be contrary to the public interest by reason of that person's performance of urgent and essential services of public importance that cannot reasonably be rescheduled or performed by another during that person's absence;

(h)    a person 65 years of age or over.

(2)  On application in the prescribed manner, if a sheriff is satisfied that a person is eligible for exemption under subsection (1), the sheriff shall exempt the person from jury service.

(3)  If the sheriff refuses to exempt a person, that person may either

(a)    on application, prior to the date on which the person has been summoned to attend for the selection of the jury, appeal to any judge, or

(b)    at the time of the selection of the jury, appeal to the judge that is presiding at the jury selection.

(4)  In the case of an appeal pursuant to subsection (3)(a), the clerk shall inform the sheriff if a person has been exempted from serving as a juror.

http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/stat/rsa-2000-c-j-3/latest/rsa-2000-c-j-3.html

Unless you're "confined to an institution" again? :unsure: