Main Menu

Worst Airline in the World?

Started by Weatherman, March 30, 2009, 07:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habsburg

It's easier for me to list the US carriers which are tolerable:

Alaska, Jet Blue, and American

British, Singapore, Thai, and SAS are my favs.  :mmm:

Air France was made vast improvements and may soon join the special list.

Oexmelin

British Airways flight attendant, in one of my flight: «Please be careful while opening the overhead compartments as sometimes, shift happens...»
Que le grand cric me croque !

Monoriu

Of those I've flown -

Best - Singapore, Cathay, China Eastern (crap service, but they dared to take off during heavy snow to take me home)

Pretty good - Dragonair, ANA, Swissair, Air France, Thai, Quantas, VirginBlue

Ok - Japan airlines, Finair, Canadian (no longer exists),

Crap - UA, AA

MadImmortalMan

From that story, it seems like their procedures are deliberately designed to drive their passengers absolutely insane.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 31, 2009, 08:41:38 PM
From that story, it seems like their procedures are deliberately designed to drive their passengers absolutely insane.
Makes me think of that Onion Video on Franz Kafka Internation Airport.  :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2009, 09:17:16 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 31, 2009, 08:41:38 PM
Makes me think of that Onion Video on Franz Kafka Internation Airport.  :lol:
Thats exactly what I thought.  Some of the details are Kafkaesque.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Alatriste

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2009, 05:21:05 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 31, 2009, 04:38:37 PM
How do the real pilots learn to land on a carrier?  I assume in real life you don't have the option of making a mess of it the first few times before getting a hang of it.
I think I saw on the Military Channel that they go first on concrete runways with connector cables and carrier-like lines painted on them.

Perhaps they do, but the differences are vast: concrete runways don't yaw, pitch and roll, can't head into the wind, and they don't move forward at 30 knots (which actually reduces the force of the impact) In my opinion, computer simulations (profesional, military simulations) and double seated training aircraft are better tools.

I have flown simulations which included the landing signal officer. Trouble was, he either was crap or hated me with a passion!

Zanza

The worst I've flown with so far was US Airways. Both time I flew with them they had attrocious ground service.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2009, 04:18:42 PM
Are there flight sims with carrier deck landings?  I'm curious if it really is as tough as all that.
Flight Deck 4 - an expansion for Flight Simulator 2004 that included an F/A-18C Hornet, F/A-18E Super Hornet, A-6B Prowler, S-2 Greyhound, S-3 Viking, E-2C Hawkeye, an SH-60 Seahawk, naturally, and of course, the USS Ronald Reagan. Sitting on the desk right next to me. :nerd:

I'm good with the Prowler and the Hawkeye; helicopters are a pain at 3 feet above the ground, no matter what. Jets, I'm not messing with.
Experience bij!