Barack HUSSEIN Obama refuses to honor deceased American soldier

Started by Jaron, November 28, 2009, 07:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

White House policy: No letter to families of military suicides
By Adam Levine, CNN
November 27, 2009 10:17 p.m. EST

Washington (CNN) -- Gregg Keesling chooses his words carefully when he talks about the death of his son, Spc. Chancellor Keesling.

As far as he's concerned, the soldier didn't "take his own life" or "commit suicide."

His son "died by suicide," Keesling insists -- and he has his reasons why.

When 25-year old Chancellor Keesling shot himself in Iraq on June 19, his family received much support from the military and local officials. Gregg Keesling's son was given the honor afforded to a fallen service member.

The Keesling family went to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware to watch as his body was flown back to Indiana six days later. At his burial, seven rifles fired three times each, in true military tradition.

Later, the soldier's aunt created a memorial wall in the family's Indianapolis living room. On the wall hangs Spc. Keesling's uniform, the U.S. flag that was handed to his mother, Jannett, after the service and the Indianapolis flag that flew over the state Capitol in his honor.

Yet there's an empty spot on the wall for an honor that never arrived: a letter from the president.

Gregg Keesling wanted to know why, especially after hearing President Obama talk about how he struggled to write letters to the families of each and every soldier killed in the war.

After pressing for an answer, the family found out the truth: There would be no condolence letter.

It's a matter of policy dating to the Clinton era, according to the White House. The commander in chief sends such letters to the families of troops who have died in combat, but not if they committed suicide, Gregg was told.

The policy felt wrong to Gregg and Jannett Keesling. Their son was a hero, and his country should be proud of him, they said. So Gregg Keesling wrote to Obama and Army Chief of Staff Gen. George W. Casey Jr., imploring them to rethink the policy.

"The recognition of the president could have profound impact on the family of the suicide victim," Keesling wrote in August.

"The lack of acknowledgment and condolences from the President, who our family admires greatly, leaves us with an emotional vacuum and a feeling that we his family have somehow [made] less of a sacrifice," he wrote in another letter to Casey.

A White House spokesman said the administration is reviewing the "inherited" policy.

"The President's thoughts and prayers are with every military family who has lost a loved one in service to our country. As Commander-in-Chief, he has worked with Secretary Gates and Admiral Mullen to address the mental health needs of our service members," spokesman Tommy Vietor wrote in an e-mail.

Spc. Keesling completed two tours of duty in Iraq. When he enlisted in 2003, the family struggled with his decision. But the young soldier was convinced that he made the right decision, telling his family, "We must have a military, and somebody's got to be in it."

Before he deployed 2005, he was anxious but excited, his mother remembered.

However, toward the end of his deployment, the stress of a failing marriage and the shock of war "began to wear on him terribly," Gregg Keesling said.

In anger, he threw his wedding ring into the Tigris River, his parents said. He was put under suicide watch, and his ammunition was taken away for several days.

At home, though, he was "back to his old self," his father said, adding that his son found a job at FedEx and a new girlfriend.

He was treated at the Veterans Affairs clinic for a shoulder injury and burn he suffered during his deployment. His parents assumed he was being treated for everything he needed.

In 2009, he received new deployment orders . His family suggested that he move to his mother's native Jamaica to avoid service, but the soldier insisted that it was his obligation to see it through, his parents said.

When Keesling deployed again, this time as a reservist, he wasn't with his original comrades. Instead, he and 10 other Indiana reserves shipped off with a 300-member unit from Tennessee, with just two months of training together.

His mental health records were not passed on either, leaving Spc. Keesling to share his past problems with his unit if he so chose. He never did.

"I understand that, but it is a very big burden to put on a soldier to self-identify," Gregg Keesling said.

In e-mails to his family, Spc. Keesling wrote about how distant he felt from his new brothers in arms.

"I hate going to war with people I don't know," he said to his father.

Gregg Keesling said his son struggled with members of his unit who joked about troops who committed suicide, oblivious to his struggles.

It became too much to bear.

After a long-distance fight with his girlfriend, the soldier said in an e-mail that he wanted to shoot himself.

After several phone calls, Spc. Keesling told his mother that he would talk to the Army chaplain.

He never did. Instead, 12 hours after that e-mail, he went into a latrine and shot himself.

The family believes that his suicide was brought on by the stress of war and the distance from loved ones. To them, it is death by injury like any other incident.

"He died by suicide," Gregg said. "He just had an injury that we just did not recognize."

And that's why they want a letter from the president.

"We don't want to force the president to write a letter of condolence. We hope he would want to," Gregg said. "We hope the president of the United States would want to show the appreciation to a family like ours for the sacrifice we made in allowing our son to become a soldier and defend his country."

Read it for yourself and weep. http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/27/soldier.suicide/index.html
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Faeelin

grumbler

I don't know why anyone would be surprised that the President doesn't write letters of condolence to the families of every soldier/sailor/airman/marine that dies while in federal service.  It would make the letters to those families whose soldiers die in combat pretty meaningless, since they would make up such a tiny fraction of the letters sent.  Death in combat is different than any other kind of in-service death, and should be treated differently.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Faeelin

Quote from: grumbler on November 28, 2009, 07:54:45 PM
I don't know why anyone would be surprised that the President doesn't write letters of condolence to the families of every soldier/sailor/airman/marine that dies while in federal service.  It would make the letters to those families whose soldiers die in combat pretty meaningless, since they would make up such a tiny fraction of the letters sent.  Death in combat is different than any other kind of in-service death, and should be treated differently.
I dunno. That's true for something like a car accident, I guess. But a suicide because the guy couldn't take it?

I admit I hadn't thought of your point.

PDH

I will wait to see what side Hans comes down on about this issue, then support the opposite side.

Hans is as good a barometer of wrong as Marty.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

katmai

Quote from: PDH on November 28, 2009, 08:20:33 PM
I will wait to see what side Hans comes down on about this issue, then support the opposite side.

spoken like a true communist liberal!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

Given that those two are diametrically opposed on every issue, I suppose that means that you stand for nothing and have no opinions about anything.

Are you perchance Barack Obama?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Scipio

Quote from: Faeelin on November 28, 2009, 08:06:03 PM
I dunno. That's true for something like a car accident, I guess. But a suicide because the guy couldn't take it?

Suicide for a volunteer soldier is the lowest kind of death, IMHO.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

He'll probably point out that this has been the policy of the US for years.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

ulmont

Re: reprehensible, not sure what would make it worse than any other suicide?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on November 28, 2009, 08:38:39 PM
Given that those two are diametrically opposed on every issue, I suppose that means that you stand for nothing and have no opinions about anything.

Even when they're right, they take it to an extreme that makes them wrong.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

If it is not a gay issue, marty has no opinion.  Hans does not post about gay issues as he is a closet homosexual, and so they two never actually negate one another.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: PDH on November 28, 2009, 10:09:13 PM

If it is not a gay issue, marty has no opinion.  Hans does not post about gay issues as he is a closet homosexual, and so they two never actually negate one another.
You forget:  Martinus also hates America, irrespective of its stance on faggot issues.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Slargos

Quote from: Scipio on November 28, 2009, 09:28:55 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on November 28, 2009, 08:06:03 PM

Suicide for a volunteer soldier is the lowest kind of death, IMHO.

:rolleyes:

The notion that suicide is something a lazy or cowardly person does to shirk responsibility is what's low here.

I realize I'm preaching to a particularly stubborn type of granite here though, so I guess I really shouldn't work myself up.