News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mama Mia! A "WTF is this shit" review

Started by CountDeMoney, November 27, 2009, 08:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

OK, so I skipped Alabama-Auburn to go with my nieces to their newest all-time fave-rave music that doesn't involve Disney princesses.

So the premise is this girl--who is about to get married and never knew who her father was--steals and reads her mother's diary, and finds out that there were 3 potential fathers.  And there's singing.  Aw, how romantic. You'd think that you'd be scarred for fucking life to learn your mother was such a hosebeast that there weren't just two possible guys that knocked her up, but three.  And she's not even black.  Although being Greek is close enough.
She invites all three to the wedding.  Lotsa laffs ensue.
Now, they're supposed to be living on a Greek island, running a little B&B or something.  Really now--if you were living on a small Mediterranean island paradise, you'd think that not knowing who your father was would be a small price to pay for happiness BECAUSE YOU LIVE IN A MEDITERRANEAN PARADISE.  Who gives a shit who your father is;  could've been the starting 5 from the Utah Jazz, big deal.  You live on a Mediterrean island.  Get over it.
And it's supposed to be a Greek island?  There wasn't a single Greek in the play.  Not even a stereotype, like a local gyro merchant on the corner.  "Mama Mia" is an Italian term;  so why aren't they in Italy? Or at least New Jersey?  And what's with all the Americans; how does that happen? The visa ramifications alone are staggering.  Are they all on 3-year work visas?  Or are they bona fide ex-pats?  We're never told.  You'd think with all the gay ABBA music, they'd at least be in the Keys.
Waaaaay too much ABBA, which has since been co-opted by the entire gay and drag queen community for several years now, made even worse because ABBA is full of Swedes.  I felt more faggoty than after the 3rd viewing of Rent.

Final analysis:  much like a fag taking a shower, it's just an excuse for one ABBA song after another.  However, some of the dialogue is witty and chock full of heady innuendo goodness.
3.5 Pink Jellied Dildos That Smell Like Ass Because They Belong To Fags out of 5.

Ugh. Now, if you'll excuse me, I feel the sudden urge to slip into a cocktail dress and go play some Diana Ross.

katmai

How could you not know what you were getting yourself into.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 27, 2009, 08:40:08 PM
OK, so I skipped Alabama-Auburn to go with my nieces to their newest all-time fave-rave music that doesn't involve Disney princesses.

:nelson

I love my niece, but I don't see myself doing any of that shit.  I'll buy her whatever she wants, and if she wants to go to football games with me, my son & my godson, she's more than welcome. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: katmai on November 27, 2009, 08:50:19 PM
How could you not know what you were getting yourself into.
As the years go by, he turns more and more into CountDeMartinus.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

So what did you think of Piers Brosnan's singing?

Habbaku

Quote from: Jacob on November 27, 2009, 09:19:36 PM

Almost as bad as Pierce Anthony's writing.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Neil

Quote from: Habbaku on November 27, 2009, 09:26:59 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 27, 2009, 09:19:36 PM

Almost as bad as Pierce Anthony's writing.
Who the fuck is Pierce Anthony?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

I've seen Mamma Mia! on stage twice (once in London, once in Louisville). :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Ed Anger

:lol:

You need to review for the local paper.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Money, btw it's called "Mamma Mia!" simply because that's the name of an ABBA song.

katmai

Quote from: Caliga on November 27, 2009, 09:41:05 PM
I've seen Mamma Mia! on stage twice (once in London, once in Louisville). :blush:

for gods sake end the charade and come out of the closet already.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

I've never heard of Piers Anthony either.  I would have gone with Pierce Plowman.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Strix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 27, 2009, 10:07:14 PM
I've never heard of Piers Anthony either.  I would have gone with Pierce Plowman.

He has written a lot of things but he is mainly known for his quasi-young adult books.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher