News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Lord of the Rings in Blu-Ray

Started by Martim Silva, November 27, 2009, 04:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martim Silva

The Blu-Ray version of the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy was scheduled to be released this month.

But Warner Pictures delayed it to 'early next year'.

Now, the version that they wanted to sell was the theatrical one, with the extended versions coming out only around 2011 or 2012.

This created an uproar with the public, as the extended versions could easily be added in the Blu-Ray version without extra disks. The general feel was that Warner thought it could make their customers pay once for the theatrical versions and then again for the extended versions, rather like many folks did with the DVD versions.

But it seemed that the customers were not having it - there were over 1,000 1-star ratings at Amazon for the theatrical disks, with everyone telling people to stay away from that release and wait for the extended versions.

Besides, since all the true fans already have the extended edition DVDs, nobody is in a hurry to buy the theatrical versions in blu-ray and then take a 'double dip' with the extended ones (and frankly, after watching the longer versions, who wants to see the others? The cuts are noticeable and seriously detract from the enjoyment of the movies).

So, it would seem that we might actually get the extended LoTR Blu-Ray in 2010 after all... and then again, maybe not.

If they go ahead and only release in 2010 the theatrical versions of the movies in Blu-Ray, would you buy them, or would you prefer to wait for as long as it takes to get the extended ones? I for one will only buy the Extended versions - did so for the DVDs and will certainly do it again for Blu-Ray.

That said, I really DO want to watch LoTR in true HD...  :(

Sophie Scholl

I only bought the EE's on dvd.  I'd do the same for blu-ray.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josquius

I already have the DVDs, don't see myself wanting HD versions of the same thing. The difference really isn't big enough as it was with vhs/dvd.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

If I get them I certainly won't get the theatre version. I don't have the DVDs so I might get the Blu-Gay.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

With business practices like these, why the big fuss about piracy when the biggest thieves are clearly members of the industry?

Neil

I can't imagine why I would ever buy a Blu-Ray disc.  The HD is lost on me.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Slargos on November 27, 2009, 08:26:23 PM
With business practices like these, why the big fuss about piracy when the biggest thieves are clearly members of the industry?
They're allowed to sell their products in whatever why they like.  Until the EU steps in, they'll do whatever they can.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on November 27, 2009, 08:40:17 PM

Your loss.  Standard def content looks like crap by comparison.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on November 27, 2009, 08:46:31 PM

Your loss.  Standard def content looks like crap by comparison.
Not really.  It only makes a difference for sports.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Slargos on November 27, 2009, 08:26:23 PM
If I was one of the people with a gun to my head being forced to buy the product I would be mad as hell too.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on November 27, 2009, 08:56:49 PM

Well, at least you admit that now :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on November 27, 2009, 09:09:15 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 27, 2009, 08:56:49 PM

Well, at least you admit that now :D
Well, you can't watch sports on Blu-Ray.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on November 27, 2009, 09:15:07 PM
Well, you can't watch sports on Blu-Ray.

I thought you were making a general statement about High Def.

Korea

I will most definitely wait for the extended version of the blurays. I wish they would hurry!
I want my mother fucking points!

Razgovory

Maybe you need glasses.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017