News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

American spelling - Yanks to me!

Started by Brazen, November 25, 2009, 05:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Never heard anyone pronounce it "advertissment" except in jest.   :huh:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 25, 2009, 11:01:41 AM
I always thought commercial was the correct Yank spelling  :huh:

Usually we just use commercial for ads on tv.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

dps

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 25, 2009, 11:11:35 AM
Never heard anyone pronounce it "advertissment" except in jest.   :huh:

I've never heard an American pronounce it that way, either. 

I think that I've heard characters in movies or TV shows pronounce it that way, but those characters were supposed to be British.  I suppose that they could have been Americans using a fake British accent and getting it wrong.

DisturbedPervert

I don't think I've heard it like that either, except from people pretending to be British.

BuddhaRhubarb

Some Canadians sat "ad-VER-tizz-ment", but mostly you hear "tize" not "tizz". or commercial, or just "ad"
:p

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 25, 2009, 10:24:17 AM
I've only ever heard it in American English. Advert-iss-ment is a very American thing to say.
In British English its the regular word advertise with ment on the end. Or just advert.
I think it's the other way round.  I pronounce it advert-iss-ment :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 25, 2009, 06:00:45 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 25, 2009, 10:24:17 AM
I've only ever heard it in American English. Advert-iss-ment is a very American thing to say.
In British English its the regular word advertise with ment on the end. Or just advert.

Yes, expecting Jos to have his finger on the pulse of...well anywhere, is foolish.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 25, 2009, 11:01:41 AM
I always thought commercial was the correct Yank spelling  :huh:

We do not typically have commercials on the side of our buses, although some modern bus stops now feature them.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 25, 2009, 06:00:45 PM
Getting the American pronounciation wrong is not a real shocker, but getting the UK pronounciation wrong is a real stumper.

Strix

I find it funny when Brits (and pretentious Americans) pronounce schedule with a silent c making it sound like shedule. I always ask what shool they attended.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

garbon

Quote from: Strix on November 25, 2009, 09:02:05 PM
I find it funny when Brits (and pretentious Americans) pronounce schedule with a silent c making it sound like shedule. I always ask what shool they attended.

School of hard knocks, baby! :punk:

edit: Or as they say in the UK, as wiki has informed me, the University of Life.*

*As an American that sounds like an anti-choice position.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon