News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Need Vista Help

Started by Syt, March 30, 2009, 01:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Ok, I managed to register my new MAC adress with my ISP, managed to disable all bells and whistles so even Vista Ultimate looks like a decent, God fearing OS again, and I'm getting used to surfing the web in 1920x1200.

However. How the hell do I de-activate the constant queries if I really want to run that program, really delete that file, really do this etc.?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Here's a good guide on turning off User Account Control: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

And here's MS's page on the topic: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709691.aspx

I still have UAC enabled since the wife uses my main PC.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

I have to use it at work.

It's going to be a pain in the ass when I'll have 7 OS to test.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Thanks. I will decide if I actually turn it off after a couple days when I have installed all I want. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

PDH

I left it on for the same reason as Spicey.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

Ok, another n00b question. When I install, say, a game, I don't seem to have an entry in the start menu or the option to create desktop icons? :unsure:

I can manually create links on the desktop, but I think that's not the idea ...
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

They're under "Games" tab
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 31, 2009, 11:24:23 AM
They're under "Games" tab

Nope, there's only Freecell, Chess etc. that come with Vista.

EDIT: Oh wait, there's a "Games Folder" inside Games. :bleeding:
—Stephen Jay Gould

PDH

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2009, 11:26:00 AM

Huh, they are just under the games folder for me, then a right-click drag to the desktop for a shortcut...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

Quote from: PDH on March 31, 2009, 11:55:27 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2009, 11:26:00 AM

Huh, they are just under the games folder for me, then a right-click drag to the desktop for a shortcut...

May depend on the game. My EA Sports game ended up in the subfolder. I will continue to monitor.
—Stephen Jay Gould

PDH

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2009, 12:00:26 PM
May depend on the game. My EA Sports game ended up in the subfolder. I will continue to monitor.
All of my oddballs like EU3, Vicky, and the like ended up there too.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Josephus

Quote from: PDH on March 31, 2009, 12:03:32 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2009, 12:00:26 PM
All of my oddballs like EU3, Vicky, and the like ended up there too.

I find it's very hit and miss. Some games DO end up in there. Other ones don't.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

PDH

Quote from: Josephus on March 31, 2009, 12:30:59 PM
I find it's very hit and miss. Some games DO end up in there. Other ones don't.
I blame Camper because he lives in Seattle and had proximity influence on Microsoft
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Syt

Ok, another question - I have a good collection of music videos on my PC. I'd like a media player for the Vista Sidebar that I can tell, "Play this folder and shuffle".

I found a player that taps into the WMP media library and shuffles based on that, but I can only run it in small (sidebar) size or full screen, the zooms of 100% and 200% don't work, e.g. when I want to watch an episode of a series while surfing the net. I tried running FreeHD, but it won't load any video files at all. :(
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on April 10, 2009, 09:58:19 AM
Ok, another question - I have a good collection of music videos on my PC. I'd like a media player for the Vista Sidebar that I can tell, "Play this folder and shuffle".

I found a player that taps into the WMP media library and shuffles based on that, but I can only run it in small (sidebar) size or full screen, the zooms of 100% and 200% don't work, e.g. when I want to watch an episode of a series while surfing the net. I tried running FreeHD, but it won't load any video files at all. :(

Dunno if I'm aware of anything that would fit the bill.  For audio I either run it from the Zune software (which I keep in my 2nd monitor) or from WMP minimized to my toolbar.  If it's just video I run WMP in the second monitor.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall