4 dead, 159 missing in Miami building collapse

Started by DGuller, June 24, 2021, 06:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2021, 07:01:00 PM
Grandfathering makes a lot more sense.
I guess it depends on whether the laws of physics will agree to go easy on the grandfathers.

grumbler

Along the lines of what Viper is talking about, the Americans with Disabilities Act has been changed several times to increase the accommodations mandated for the handicapped.  when the school I work for upgraded a year ago, the Feds paid 40%, the state 20%, and the school 40% of the cost of the upgrades.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

it does, but I believe we were discussing a change to building code + an obligation to adapt older buildings within a short time frame.

Over here, whenever there are changes, they must be integrated in any future renovation projets, but not existing buildings.  There were changes in isolation of foundations in the last Canadian building code.  If I were to extend my house, I would need to make the new foundations conform to the new standards, but I wouldn't have to retouch the existing ones, unless I planned on elevating the house and extending the height of the existing foundations.

Same for commercial buildings, whenever there are changes, it is not always required to immediatly adapt the building.  The one exception was the change to fire supression systems becoming mandatory for all retirement homes, public or private, even the smallish ones.  Then the govt footed a part of the bill.  Otherwise, lots of people couldn't have been able to afford the raise to their units.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2021, 07:06:46 PM
I guess it depends on whether the laws of physics will agree to go easy on the grandfathers.
that Florida case look a little extreme.  But with climate change and erosion, I figure lots of buildings along the coasts will eventually need to have their structural integrity strenghtened, probably not just in Florida.

I still don't know what cause these beams to crack like this though.  It's not like it's a 100 years old building.  Either there was a problem under the foundations in that specific section a little while ago causing these damages or the concrete was of a very bad quality to begin with and degraded quickly over the years.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on June 29, 2021, 09:02:20 PM
Along the lines of what Viper is talking about, the Americans with Disabilities Act has been changed several times to increase the accommodations mandated for the handicapped.  when the school I work for upgraded a year ago, the Feds paid 40%, the state 20%, and the school 40% of the cost of the upgrades.

Himmm. :hmm:

40+20+40

Yeah, his numbers check out.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

It sounds like the fire alarm should've gone off, but didn't.  It's always frustrating when you read about such disasters, and realize how one little thing could've led to a much different outcome.  I guess there are a lot of near disasters that do happen every day that we don't hear about, because one little thing there didn't fail.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/special-reports/surfside-investigation/article255942717.html

QuoteHallandale Beach-based Premier Fire Alarms and Integration Systems installed the system in 2017.

In a brief phone conversation Friday and subsequent text messages, Matthew Haiman, Premier's president, said that the company's system had worked properly and threatened to sue the Herald if it published a story.

"We have the records," Haiman said, although he said he would not show them to reporters.

"Go f--- yourself," he added. "Print your fake news."
:hmm: This is the kind of calm and measured person with sound judgment that I want installing my fire alarm system.

The Minsky Moment

Time to file chapter 7 and start a new business entity under a new name.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 22, 2021, 05:01:08 PM
Time to file chapter 7 and start a new business entity under a new name.
You think they waited this long?
PDH!