News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sexual Harassment

Started by Viking, November 23, 2009, 06:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Grallon on November 24, 2009, 08:56:39 AM
I've called some of my straight male co-workers: cocktease, stud, handsome.  Was this sexual harassment?  :P  The one I called cocktease was rather pleased with himself too - he kept laughing and making innuendos...  And I wanted to fuck him all the more for it.

Why is it straight guys derive such apparent pleasure in making us salivate!? <_<

G.

Same reason Women like to do it to straight guys, Power.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jaron

Your definition is severely lacking, Marcin.

Sexual harassment does cover sexual advances, of course, but as someone else (I think dps) said, it would be anything that creates a hostile work environment based on gender or sexual orientation.

If all your office mates found out you were gay, and jokingly asked you out on fake dates as an office joke, that would be a clear cut case of sexual harassment, even though there was no real offer of sexual favors.

The things I've seen considered sexual harassment:

Inappropriate touching, repeated advances after being told the other person wasn't interested, inappropriate nicknames, inappropriate workplace conversations, all of the above based on sexual orientation. (ex: You shouldnt ask two lesbians to makeout at work :P )

It is expected some of the people I deal with wouldnt grasp sexual harassment, but I'm shocked to see some so called professions on this board have no clue what it is. I suppose its an American thing, because its the Euros who are all clueless.

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

There's a whole lot of shit that's highly unprofessional that the government should ignore. Most of that stuff falls in this category.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

I disagree.

If the government didn't rules into place to help prevent these workplace situations, very few protections would exist for women/homosexuals. I guess as a man, and very likely an unattractive one, you might not see it, but uncomfortable situations like those don't belong in the workplace.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on November 24, 2009, 09:54:22 AM
I guess as a man, and very likely an unattractive one,

:o

OMG Jaron's harassing me!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2009, 11:02:00 PM
Yeah, I don't know about the scandy equivalent to "cunt", but it wouldn't shock me in Canada to be accused of sexual harassment to use that word in the workplace.

It would shock me to see a lawyer use that word in the workplace. Period.

"Your honour, you cunt, if I may."
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 24, 2009, 09:46:48 AM
There's a whole lot of shit that's highly unprofessional that the government should ignore. Most of that stuff falls in this category.
If the world were such a place that people exposed to harassment could easily leave the employer that allowed the harassment and take their skills to places that demanded more professionalism, I would agree.  There is a level of workplace harassment or intimidation, though, that cannot be remedied by market forces in the world as it exists.  I don't know who but the government could remedy this (since unions are so nerfed).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: Grallon on November 24, 2009, 08:56:39 AM
I've called some of my straight male co-workers: cocktease, stud, handsome.  Was this sexual harassment?  :P  The one I called cocktease was rather pleased with himself too - he kept laughing and making innuendos...  And I wanted to fuck him all the more for it.

Why is it straight guys derive such apparent pleasure in making us salivate!? <_<

G.

I think such behaviour would count as sexual harassment if it was indeed unwelcome.

Grallon

Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2009, 10:16:44 AM

I think such behaviour would count as sexual harassment if it was indeed unwelcome.

Indeed - hence why I never go beyond a certain point - no touching for instance.  And I modulate my... compliments depending on the person.  The 'cocktease' and I have an understanding anyway.  He tells me about his sexual boredom with his gf and I listen while I keep making my own innuendos and he laughs and plays along.

There's another, the one I call 'stud' (34, thining hair, soon-to-be dad but super fit and very masculine) - he's the one touching me - you know, laughing and putting a hand on my arm or shoulder.  It's different for each.

Finally there's the cute lawer (33, looks 25-26 - newly wed - baby on the way)- he knows I fancy him but we never discussed it openly until recently where he mentioned he had been a gym trainer when he was younger.  He said he was then 25 pounds (of muscles) heavier to which I replied: "you're perfect as you are now".  :P

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Brazen

This reminds me of one of my favourite movie lines. Though not, I'd like to point out, one of my favourite movies. From "I Bought A Vampire Motorcycle" by a drunk driver to a police officer:

"I haven't had a cunt all night, Drinkstable."

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2009, 07:44:14 AM
There is no point discussing Norwegian law unless you are a Norwegian lawyer.

Can we get you to apply this rule in general?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: Viking on November 24, 2009, 08:28:12 AM
From what I gather from Norwegian Law is that there must be a subordinate-superior relationship. Athletes are not employees of the sports committee which has hired the coach.

If the coach is in a position of authority over an athlete, that can still be construed as the coach being ina superior-subordinate relationship with the athlete.  Of course, I have no idea if it would be considered as such under Norwegian law.

"Suck my dick if you want the promotion" is harassment.

"Suck my dick" may merely be foreplay if the advance is welcomed or non offensive to your co-woker.

It can still get you fired, but may not technically be sexual harassment.

Or, depending on context, it might just be another way of saying, "Go to Hell".

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on November 23, 2009, 10:08:25 PMShe accused him of sexual harrasment for calling her a "fucking cunt"
Then an investigation was ordered
Then he was fired for putting the norwegian olympic committee into disrepute

Why are you asking about someone being fired for sexual harassment when, according to what you say yourself, he was fired for bringing the Norwegian Olympic Committee into disrepute?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Berkut on November 24, 2009, 12:36:21 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2009, 07:44:14 AM
There is no point discussing Norwegian law unless you are a Norwegian lawyer.

Can we get you to apply this rule in general?

LOLz.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on November 25, 2009, 12:28:58 AM
Quote from: Viking on November 23, 2009, 10:08:25 PMShe accused him of sexual harrasment for calling her a "fucking cunt"
Then an investigation was ordered
Then he was fired for putting the norwegian olympic committee into disrepute
Why are you asking about someone being fired for sexual harassment when, according to what you say yourself, he was fired for bringing the Norwegian Olympic Committee into disrepute?
Which is interesting, given the disrepute of Olympic Committees in general.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.