News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sexual Harassment

Started by Viking, November 23, 2009, 06:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Just recently the American coach of the Norwegian Long Track Speed Skating team was fired after being accused of sexually harassing one of the female skaters. She charged him with sexual harassment after being called "a fucking cunt". Can calling a person "a fucking cunt" possibly in any way be seen as sexual harassment, or did she just prove him wrong by being one?

On an aside. While this issue has been going around in the Norwegian media the nature of the sexual harassment has been kept secret (basically nobody knew what the coach said). Once I found out what the coach said I was shocked that he got fired for that, not to mention the idea that calling somebody "a fucking cunt" can be seen as sexual harassment.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

He should have known better than to try working in Scandinavia.  They're a bunch of fucking cunts.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

No, it's not sexual harassment, but they probably had to claim it is because you can't fire somebody just for being an asshole in Norway.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Palisadoes

I call people "fucking cunts" all the time; male or female! It's not sexual harassment, since it's applied in a sexually indiscriminate way (to all). I just think they need to keep their tampons in and get back to breast-feeding! ;)

Viking

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 23, 2009, 09:34:51 PM
No, it's not sexual harassment, but they probably had to claim it is because you can't fire somebody just for being an asshole in Norway.

She accused him of sexual harrasment for calling her a "fucking cunt"
Then an investigation was ordered
Then he was fired for putting the norwegian olympic committee into disrepute

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Sexual harrasment these days means pretty much anything that makes a woman feel uncomfortable.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2009, 10:14:23 PM
Sexual harrasment these days means pretty much anything that makes a woman feel uncomfortable.

The shouldn't go out to singles bars, or out in public even.

Capetan Mihali

I would say it's situational.  Ultimately, for Americans at least, "cunt" is primarily a misogynistic insult.  I am lead to believe that's not the case in the UK, or perhaps Scandinavia.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Barrister

Yeah, I don't know about the scandy equivalent to "cunt", but it wouldn't shock me in Canada to be accused of sexual harassment to use that word in the workplace.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2009, 11:02:00 PM
Yeah, I don't know about the scandy equivalent to "cunt", but it wouldn't shock me in Canada to be accused of sexual harassment to use that word in the workplace.

Jævla Fytte is the closest norwegian translation. It is not in good taste or even polite. But profanity is not harassment anywhere is it?

Athletes are not employees of their coaches. Futhermore, Peter Mueller is not her coach, she is an athlete with her own coach and participates representing norway.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Viking on November 23, 2009, 11:14:09 PM
It is not in good taste or even polite. But profanity is not harassment anywhere is it?

Sexually harassing profanity is, of course.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Barrister

But profanity is not harassment anywhere is it?

Of course it can be.   :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 23, 2009, 11:22:33 PM
It is not in good taste or even polite. But profanity is not harassment anywhere is it?

Sexually harassing profanity is, of course.

so is a Sexually Harassing Capetan Mihali, but then again, I can use adjectives as well.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2009, 11:33:06 PM
But profanity is not harassment anywhere is it?

Of course it can be.   :huh:

I take it Johnny Cochrane never made the Sticks and Stones argument  <_<